Help with squaring geometry help

• Thread starter PiRsq
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, squaring in geometry is the process of finding the area of a square by multiplying the length of one side by itself. This can be done using the formula A = s² or by multiplying the base by the height. The perimeter of a square can be found by adding all four sides or by using the formula P = 4s. Squaring can also be applied to other shapes, such as rectangles, circles, and triangles, to find their area and perimeter. It is an important concept in geometry as it helps solve problems and is used in various fields of mathematics and science.
PiRsq
x and y are vectors

If |x|=11 and |y|=23 and |x-y|=30, find |x+y|?

I tried but I couldn't get it, any hints out there guys?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try squaring everything.

I did

|x|^2 + |y|^2 = |x+y|^2

Then |x+y|=25.6 units

But my book's answer says 16 units...I don't get it

That formula only works when x and y are perpendicular vectors.

Recall that for any vector z:

|z|^2 = z * z

So what should |x + y|^2 and |x - y|^2 be?

Thanks man

1. What is squaring in geometry?

Squaring in geometry is the process of finding the area of a square. This involves multiplying the length of one side of the square by itself.

2. How do you find the area of a square?

To find the area of a square, you can use the formula A = s², where A is the area and s is the length of one side of the square. Alternatively, you can also find the area by multiplying the base by the height.

3. How do you find the perimeter of a square?

The perimeter of a square is the distance around the outside of the square. To find the perimeter, you can add up all four sides of the square. Alternatively, you can use the formula P = 4s, where P is the perimeter and s is the length of one side of the square.

4. Can you use squaring in other shapes besides squares?

Yes, squaring can be used in other shapes besides squares. It can also be used in rectangles, where the area is found by multiplying the length and width, and the perimeter is found by adding all four sides. Additionally, squaring can be used in finding the area and perimeter of circles, triangles, and other geometric shapes.

5. Why is squaring important in geometry?

Squaring is important in geometry because it helps us understand and solve problems involving area and perimeter. It is also a fundamental concept in geometry and is used in various mathematical and scientific fields, such as physics and engineering.