1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Statics

1. Feb 7, 2005 #1
    now on question 8 of my homework, and i am starting to wonder if i;ve been getting these question right. :yuck: It's to do with friction.

Relativally simple question: When an object is stationary, would the formula to find the resolved friction be: F = (mew, u) R or F (is less-than-or-equal-to) (mew, u) R?!
    sorry bout the notation, have NO idea how to use it!
    thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2005 #2

the normal force (force perpendicular to the plan of motion) is variable based on angle of incline or decline
  4. Feb 7, 2005 #3
    thanks, but which formula applies to an object which is stationary, am i being stupid, co i swear our teacher told us one or the other?!
  5. Feb 7, 2005 #4
    you have static and kinetic frction the difference is that the constants are different, think about sliding a large object its hard to get it sliding, but you get it sliding its not as hard,
  6. Feb 7, 2005 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Static friction is always less than or equal to [itex]\mu N[/itex], where N is the normal force pressing the surfaces together.
  7. Feb 7, 2005 #6
    Thank you both very much! Very helpful :rofl:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?