Calculate CaCO3 Mass: Stoichiometry Help for Decomposition Reaction

In summary, the sample of CaCO3 decomposes to form calcium oxide and carbon dioxide, with 1.5432 g of CO2 released. Using the molar ratios, the original sample contained 3.5097 g of CaCO3. If the original sample had a mass of 5.768 g, then the percentage by mass of CaCO3 would be 60.83%.
Soaring Crane
a. A sample of CaCO3 decomposes when heated to form calcium oxide and carbon dioxide. 1.5432 g of CO2 are released in the reaction. Find g of CaCO3 in the original sample.
CaCO3 --> CO2 + CaO

1.5432 g CO2*(1 mol of CO2/44.01 g) = 0.035065 mol of CO2*(1 mol CaCO3/1 mol CO2) = 0.035065 mol CaCO3

0.035065 mol CaCO3*(100.09 g/ 1mol CaCO3) = 3.5097 g CaCO3??

b. The original sample was a mixture from which only CaCO3 released carbon dioxide. Calculate the percentage by mass of CaCO3 if original's sample mass was 5.768 g.

Do I divide 3.5097 g CaCO3/5.768 g * 100 or must I subtract the grams of CO2 from the original sample's mass?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any volunteers?

Thanks again.

Soaring Crane said:
a. A sample of CaCO3 decomposes when heated to form calcium oxide and carbon dioxide. 1.5432 g of CO2 are released in the reaction. Find g of CaCO3 in the original sample.
CaCO3 --> CO2 + CaO

1.5432 g CO2*(1 mol of CO2/44.01 g) = 0.035065 mol of CO2*(1 mol CaCO3/1 mol CO2) = 0.035065 mol CaCO3

0.035065 mol CaCO3*(100.09 g/ 1mol CaCO3) = 3.5097 g CaCO3??
That's correct.

b. The original sample was a mixture from which only CaCO3 released carbon dioxide. Calculate the percentage by mass of CaCO3 if original's sample mass was 5.768 g.

Do I divide 3.5097 g CaCO3/5.768 g * 100 or must I subtract the grams of CO2 from the original sample's mass?

Thanks.
This looks a little silly, but your first idea seems right.

all seemed right: (3.5097/5.768)*100 should do it.

1. What is stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry is the branch of chemistry that deals with the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction.

2. Why is stoichiometry important?

Stoichiometry is important because it allows scientists to predict the amount of products that will be formed in a chemical reaction, as well as the amount of reactants needed for a desired outcome. It also helps in determining the limiting reactant in a reaction, which can affect the overall yield of products.

3. How do you calculate stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry is calculated using the mole ratio of reactants and products in a balanced chemical equation. This involves converting the given amounts of reactants or products into moles, and then using the mole ratio to determine the unknown quantity.

4. What are the units used in stoichiometry?

The units used in stoichiometry are typically moles (mol) for the amount of a substance, and grams (g) for the mass of a substance. Other units such as liters (L) for volume and joules (J) for energy may also be used in certain calculations.

5. How can I improve my understanding of stoichiometry?

To improve your understanding of stoichiometry, it is helpful to practice solving various types of problems and to review the concepts and formulas regularly. You can also seek additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice quizzes to reinforce your understanding.