1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Stokes' Theorem

1. Apr 30, 2014 #1

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

OK, so I know stokes theorem states that I can turn ##\int \int_{S}F\cdot dS## into ##\int \int (-P\frac{\partial g(x,y)}{\partial x} -Q\frac{\partial g(x,y)}{\partial y} + R)dxdy##

but I have a problem that I'm working on that's screaming change of variables (to spherical), but I'm not sure if I can apply stokes' this way...

my region is ##x^2 +y^2 + z^2 = 64##, and I really want to make my region a spherical region (if possible, as I need to understand this for my final) but I'm not sure how to define g.

What's throwing me off is which partials to take. My F is ##<x,-y,z>## and upon making the proper substitutions, ##- \rho <cos(\theta )sin(\phi ), -sin(\theta )sin(\phi ), cos(\ phi)>##
    and I suppose g would be ##\rho <cos(\theta )sin(\phi ), sin(\theta )sin(\phi ), cos(\ phi)>## , since that's my region? It's the region in the first quadrant oriented inwards, that's where the negative sign came from, I guess it should probably be in g, but either way it's going make it into the integral.

But now, how do I define my g and my partials? I understand P is my ##\hat{i}## and Q j and R z, but I'm uncertain as to which partials I'm multiplying by which functions.

I'm not sure if I can even do this, I'm just trying to understand this better. any help would be greatly appreciated =]

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2014 #2

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Ok, I didn't want to, but I watched the "how to" video, which basically works through the problem, and they ended up solving "g" for z, but I'm still wondering if there is a way to do this in spherical? Or do I need ##F = P\hat{\theta} + Q \hat{\phi} + R \hat{\rho}## in order to make this work like I'm wanting it to?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted