Subspace Help: Properties & Verifying Examples

In summary: Neither is the case. ##\mathbf{F}## represents the field the scalars are taken from: ##b,x_2, etc.## It is stands e.g. for ##\mathbb{R}, \,\mathbb{C},\,\mathbb{Q}## or any other fields. ##\mathbf{F}^4## is a four dimensional ##\mathbf{F}-##linear vector space.In summary, the properties of subspaces are explained, and an example is given.
glauss
Summary:: Properties of subspaces and verifying examples

Hi,
My textbook gives some examples relating to subspaces but I am having trouble intuiting them.
Could someone please help me understand the five points they are attempting to convey here (see screenshot).

Attachments

• 80474322-D93A-468E-8B95-F227BF1D810F.jpeg
    80474322-D93A-468E-8B95-F227BF1D810F.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 133
Physics news on Phys.org
What don't you understand? Let's start with example a).

Likes glauss
Thank you for the reply.
Why must b = 0 for example a?
F, in this book, is generalized so that it includes the real and complex fields.

glauss said:
Thank you for the reply.
F, in this book, is generalized so that it includes the real and complex fields.
To test whether a subset is a subspace, you need to check the axioms. Why don't you do that?

Likes glauss
Is it simply because b is not an element of F^4?

glauss said:
Is it simply because b is not an element of F^4?
No. ##b \in F##

But not in F^4 unless it = 0 with the given expression for x3, right? ;)

glauss said:
But not in F^4 unless it = 0 with the given expression for x3, right? ;)
I'm not convinced you understand the set notation employed here. ##F^4## is the set of all 4-tuples of elements in ##F##. Think of ##\mathbb R^n##. Do you know what that is?

Oh I thought F^4 would be four dimensional set of which F is a superset.
I’m actually really dumb so feel free to lead me by the hand to the concepts I’m trying to grasp

Likes Delta2
glauss said:
Oh I thought F^4 would be four dimensional set of which F is a superset.
I’m actually really dumb so feel free to lead me by the hand to the concepts I’m trying to grasp
Okay, but are you sure you have the mathematical prerequisites to study linear algebra?

Yes. Maybe I should delete and re create this thread so I get another person to assist? This is an introductory topic on the course, but I want to understand it well, so I’m asking for an assist

PeroK said:
I'm not convinced you understand the set notation employed here. ##F^4## is the set of all 4-tuples of elements in ##F##. Think of ##\mathbb R^n##. Do you know what that is?
Yes, I know what that is

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

glauss said:
Yes, I know what that is
Then please explain what ##\mathbf{F}## is and what ##\mathbf{F}^4## is. It is basically impossible to help you without knowing where you are at to pick you up. @PeroK's question in post #10 was aimed to figure this out. "Yes, I know" is insufficient, esp. because your posts suggested that you do not.

I apologize for being difficult.

to be honest, i actually previously considered F to represent F^Infinity, of which F^n would be a subset

glauss said:

to be honest, i actually previously considered F to represent F^Infinity, of which F^n would be a subset
Neither is the case. ##\mathbf{F}## represents the field the scalars are taken from: ##b,x_2, etc.## It is stands e.g. for ##\mathbb{R}, \,\mathbb{C},\,\mathbb{Q}## or any other fields. ##\mathbf{F}^4## is a four dimensional ##\mathbf{F}-##linear vector space.

You are right that ##\mathbf{F}^\infty ## could be seen as vector space of infinite dimension and ## \mathbf{F}^4## a subspace. However, it would be a) a bad notation, b) meaningless until the embedding is specified, and c) far beyond what the exercise is about.

You cannot add scalars and vectors, they belong to different sets. Exercise (a) is crucial for the understanding of linear spaces. So what makes a subspace a subspace? What must hold? And why doesn't it if ##b\neq 0##?

For the problem of part a) you need to show (i.e., prove) two propositions:
  1. If b = 0, then ##S = \{(x_1, x_2, x_3, x_4) \in \mathbb F^4: x_3 = 5x_4 + b\}## is a subspace of ##\mathbb F^4##.
  2. If ##S = \{(x_1, x_2, x_3, x_4) \in \mathbb F^4: x_3 = 5x_4 + b\}## is a subspace of ##\mathbb F^4##, then b = 0.
(I gave the set a name: S.
To prove that a set is a subspace of some vector space, all you need to do is to show that addition is closed, and scalar multiplication is closed. IOW, for addition, if u and v are in the set, then u + v is also in the set. For scalar multiplication, if k is a scalar in the field (in F in this problem), and u is in the set, then ku is also in the set.
That's it.

Page 18, box 1.34 gives you the conditions of a subspace.

For a) what you need to show is that if ##b \neq 0##, one or more of these conditions are not satisfied.

Hint: ##0## can refer both to the scalar ##0## and the vector ##0##, which for ##\mathbb{F^n}## is ##(0,0,...0)## with ##n## zeroes.

glauss said:

I had a quick look at Axler. He does not include an introductory section on sets and basic mathematical logic and proofs, which is what you may be missing. And, it seems like he jumps into the deep end a little. There are precious few examples of vector spaces in the opening chapter.

This might not be a good book as a first exposure to pure mathematics.

It also looks a touch idiosynchratic to me. Which is what you might expect, given the title.

PeroK said:
It isn't. There's no way someone new would get through these problems without assistance from the internet.

Mayhem said:
It isn't. There's no way someone new would get through these problems without assistance from the internet.
Or even with help from the Internet!

PeroK said:
Or even with help from the Internet!
Well, this place offers gratuitous amounts of help. :)

glauss said:
Thank you for the reply.
F in the book is denoted as a field. A field has certain properties. Do you know what the properties are? F^n is denoted to be the set of all ordered n-tuples whose ordered entries are those coming from the field.

Ie., R^2 is the set of all elements (a,b) where a , b are in R (the field consisting of real numbers in certain properties that I mentioned if you knew). Moreover, (1,2) is different from (2,1) in R^2 . (why, this goes back to the definition of an n-tuple)

Now, do you understand vector addition? scalar multiplication?

What does it mean for a subset of a vector space to be a subspace?

Depending on what was given as the definition (sometimes called the subspace criterion or something similar),

is the 0 vector of F^4 an element of the set given? Is it closed under addition, scalar multiplication?

Last edited:
Minor hijack, but as I'm using the same book as OP, he or she might find it useful as well.

If ##S## is a nonempty set and ##\mathbb{F}## is a field, then ##\mathbb{F}^S## means ... ? It has to do with functions and mapping. Can it be translated into the form ##f : \mathbb{F} \rightarrow S## or is it the other way around? For example, ##\mathbb{R}^{[0,1]} = f : \mathbb{R} \rightarrow [0,1]##?

PeroK said:
I had a quick look at Axler. He does not include an introductory section on sets and basic mathematical logic and proofs, which is what you may be missing. And, it seems like he jumps into the deep end a little. There are precious few examples of vector spaces in the opening chapter.

It also looks a touch idiosynchratic to me. Which is what you might expect, given the title.

Unfortunately, this is the only book I can afford for a while. Though it might not be an optimal one, I figured that with some help, I could work through it and get a better book down the line.

Mayhem said:
Well, this place offers gratuitous amounts of help. :)

I'm counting on it!

Mark44 said:
For the problem of part a) you need to show (i.e., prove) two propositions:
  1. If b = 0, then ##S = \{(x_1, x_2, x_3, x_4) \in \mathbb F^4: x_3 = 5x_4 + b\}## is a subspace of ##\mathbb F^4##.
  2. If ##S = \{(x_1, x_2, x_3, x_4) \in \mathbb F^4: x_3 = 5x_4 + b\}## is a subspace of ##\mathbb F^4##, then b = 0.
(I gave the set a name: S.
To prove that a set is a subspace of some vector space, all you need to do is to show that addition is closed, and scalar multiplication is closed. IOW, for addition, if u and v are in the set, then u + v is also in the set. For scalar multiplication, if k is a scalar in the field (in F in this problem), and u is in the set, then ku is also in the set.
That's it.

So:
Since, by the (1)additive identity, 0 is an element of the set
and, since the subspace must be (2)closed under addition (u, v, (u+v)EU),
and, since the subspace must be (3)closed under scalar multiplication (auEU if aEF),

then:
Couldn't any of the other x values = b so that (2) holds true?

Ie. x_2 = b

Thanks for your patience, everyone. I know I have a weak grasp and I want to move forward with strong footing, and you're all invaluable to my learning in LA...

Last edited:
glauss said:
So:
and, since the subspace must be (3)closed under scalar multiplication (auEU if aEF),

then:

Ie. x_2 = (1/5)x_4 = b

Thanks for your patience, everyone. I know I have a weak grasp and I want to move forward with strong footing, and you're all invaluable to my learning in LA...
I'll give you a hint. To check if the zero vector (##0 \in U##) is in the subspace, you just plug the zero vector into the conditions of the subspace. Recall, Axler defines ##0 = (0,0,...,0)## where the RHS is a list of length ##n## consisting only of zeros (Definition 1.14, page 7.)

glauss said:
Unfortunately, this is the only book I can afford for a while.
Alternatives are second hand books, or the modern version: download pdf from the internet. There are hundreds of lecture notes and scripts, even books online, especially for the standard courses.

This does not mean you weren't welcome on PF, you are. Just try to be as specific as you can with what you write, so that we can correct in time what you possibly misunderstood. Unlearning is far more difficult than learning.

And in case you want to write proper code, which would help us a lot, too, see
https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

glauss said:
So:

then:

Ie. x_2 = b

To do pure maths, you need to develop the technique of logic and proof writing. You're missing a key prerequisite for this book. There are a lots of free pdf's on introduction to abstract algebra. This first one looks quite good:

https://homepages.warwick.ac.uk/~maseap/teaching/aa/aanotes.pdf

Chapter III is an intro to matrices and linear algebra, before he moves on to group theory.

You could also have a look around for free pdf's on introduction to linear algebra. I found this one, which looks a bit more introductory than Axler:

https://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~linear/linear-guest.pdf

That said, if you have no experience of pure mathematics, then it's tough. I'd look for an alternative, as I think Axler is not the right book for you. Not yet anyway.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and Mayhem
glauss said:
So:
I assume you're working on item 1 of the two statements I listed; i.e., starting with the assumption that b = 0. If so, yes, it's clear that (0, 0, 0, 0) is an element of the set that I called S in this case.
glauss said:
What does this notation mean -- (u, v, (u+v)EU) ?
To prove this part, still assuming that b = 0, you need to show that if u and v are arbitrary vectors in S, then ##u + v \in S##.
glauss said:
I don't know what this notation means, either -- auEU if aEF.
Still assuming that b = 0, what you need to show is that if k is an arbitrary element of the field F, and u is an arbitrary element of S, then ##ku \in S##.
glauss said:
then:
No, because the statements must hold for any arbitrary vectors in S.

What I've laid out above is the proof of one direction in the if and only if proposition (i.e., assuming b = 0). Next you have to proved the converse. IOW, if S is a subspace, then b = 0.

@glauss Here's an example proof from another thread, to let you see what I mean by mathematical logic and proofs:

Prove that the equation ##x^2+(2m+1)x+(2n+1) = 0## does not possesses any rational roots if ##m \in \mathbb{Z}, n \in \mathbb{Z}##.

Outline Proof (with exercises left to the reader!):

1) If the equation ##x^2 + (2m + 1)x + 2n + 1 = 0## has a rational solution, then that solution must be an integer. (Exercise for you.)

2) Let ##r \in \mathbb Z## be a solution. And, we have: ##r^2 + (2m + 1)r + 2n +1 = 0## and, rearranging we have ##r(r + 2m + 1) = -(2n +1)##

3) Note that ##-(2n+1)## is odd.

4) If ##r## is odd then ... contradiction. (Exercise)

5) If ##r## is even ... contradiction. (Exercise)

6) The equation cannot have an integer solution, therefore cannot have a rational solution, therefore any solution is irrational.

QED

If you can follow that, then fine; otherwise, you've a lot of work to do before you begin Axler.

Likes cgrie
glauss said:
Unfortunately, this is the only book I can afford for a while. Though it might not be an optimal one, I figured that with some help, I could work through it and get a better book down the line.
I'm counting on it!
So:

then:

Ie. x_2 = b

Linear Algebra Done Right is a very clear and concise book. It is a good book. But sometimes, people may not have the prerequisites or experience to enjoy such books. There is nothing wrong with reading an easier book, then coming back to another.

The only requirements for Axler, is being able to read and write basic proofs. Have you taken a course in logic? Are you familiar with how to read and write proofs?

PeroK said:
@glauss Here's an example proof from another thread, to let you see what I mean by mathematical logic and proofs:

Prove that the equation ##x^2+(2m+1)x+(2n+1) = 0## does not possesses any rational roots if ##m \in \mathbb{Z}, n \in \mathbb{Z}##.

1) If the equation ##x^2 + (2m + 1)x + 2n + 1 = 0## has a rational solution, then that solution must be an integer. (Exercise for you.)

2) Let ##r \in \mathbb Z## be a solution. And, we have: ##r^2 + (2m + 1)r + 2n +1 = 0## and, rearranging we have ##r(r + 2m + 1) = -(2n +1)##

6) The equation cannot have an integer solution, therefore cannot have a rational solution, therefore any solution is irrational.

QED

If you can follow that, then fine; otherwise, you've a lot of work to do before you begin Axler.
I will give that linked PDF a read, on matricies and group theory, it only looks like a few pages.
Do you have another recommendation for logic and proofs? I’d like to bring my skills up to par quickly and get back to working through Axler ASAP...

glauss said:
I will give that linked PDF a read, on matricies and group theory, it only looks like a few pages.
Do you have another recommendation for logic and proofs? I’d like to bring my skills up to par quickly and get back to working through Axler ASAP...
Logic and mathematical proofs can be difficult to learn. I have two elementary undergraduate maths books, one on abstract algebra and on real analysis, which cover the material to some extent.

Often, for physics students, Linear Algebra is their first exposure to formal proofs. That's why the right textbook is important. You could try this one. It's certainty very different from Axler.

http://www.math.byu.edu/~klkuttle/0000ElemLinearalgebratoprint.pdf

There are lots of proofs in there. In fact, I think he proves almost everything!

Ultimately, it's just practice, practice, practice. That said, in my view, maths is a bit like music: some people understand it naturally and intuitively; and some people have to work at it very hard indeed!

PeroK said:

QED

I took linear algebra without proofs before I took an intro to proofs class. In my opinion, there were lots and lots of definitions to learn in even introductory linear algebra, and the extra terminology can get frustrating. It's really nice to start out with the easiest examples until you get the hang of how to use contradiction, direct, etc.

Likes PeroK
<h2>1. What is subspace in mathematics?</h2><p>Subspace in mathematics refers to a subset of a vector space that satisfies all the properties of a vector space. This means that it must contain the zero vector, be closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and have a finite number of vectors.</p><h2>2. How do you verify if a set is a subspace?</h2><p>To verify if a set is a subspace, you need to check if it satisfies all the properties of a vector space. This includes checking if the set contains the zero vector, if it is closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and if it has a finite number of vectors. If all of these conditions are met, then the set is a subspace.</p><h2>3. What is the difference between a subspace and a vector space?</h2><p>A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies all the properties of a vector space. This means that it is also a vector space, but it is a smaller subset of the larger vector space. A vector space, on the other hand, is a set of vectors that satisfy certain properties, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication.</p><h2>4. Can a subspace have an infinite number of vectors?</h2><p>Yes, a subspace can have an infinite number of vectors as long as it satisfies all the properties of a vector space. For example, the set of all real numbers is an infinite subspace of the vector space of all complex numbers.</p><h2>5. How are subspaces used in real-world applications?</h2><p>Subspaces are used in real-world applications to model and solve problems in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, in physics, subspaces are used to represent different states of a physical system, while in computer science, subspaces are used to represent data structures and algorithms for efficient computation.</p>

1. What is subspace in mathematics?

Subspace in mathematics refers to a subset of a vector space that satisfies all the properties of a vector space. This means that it must contain the zero vector, be closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and have a finite number of vectors.

2. How do you verify if a set is a subspace?

To verify if a set is a subspace, you need to check if it satisfies all the properties of a vector space. This includes checking if the set contains the zero vector, if it is closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and if it has a finite number of vectors. If all of these conditions are met, then the set is a subspace.

3. What is the difference between a subspace and a vector space?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies all the properties of a vector space. This means that it is also a vector space, but it is a smaller subset of the larger vector space. A vector space, on the other hand, is a set of vectors that satisfy certain properties, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication.

4. Can a subspace have an infinite number of vectors?

Yes, a subspace can have an infinite number of vectors as long as it satisfies all the properties of a vector space. For example, the set of all real numbers is an infinite subspace of the vector space of all complex numbers.

5. How are subspaces used in real-world applications?

Subspaces are used in real-world applications to model and solve problems in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, in physics, subspaces are used to represent different states of a physical system, while in computer science, subspaces are used to represent data structures and algorithms for efficient computation.