1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Summer programs

1. Mar 21, 2009 #1
    Hello,
    I would like to ask you some questions relating summer programs in physics. I have applied for several programs this year and one by one, I am being rejected in all of them. I don't know why this happens, my marks are really good, and I have studied four courses of the physical sciences career in only two years. Moreover, I have some aditional diplomas in java and C# programming. My referees are not bad, indeed, I have two senior referees.
    I don't know what to do, so I would like you to give me some tips, maybe I am doing something wrong in my applications.
    In adition, It would be great if you told me some summer programs in physics for undergraduate students.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2009 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's hard to say why you're not being successful. If I understand, you're an undergraduate student in your second year and you have 4 physical science courses. I'm not sure what program you're in, but physics summer programs can often be geared towards upper year physics students who have a lot more specialization.

Also these programs can be rather competative. Just because you have "really good" marks, doesn't mean that there aren't other candidates with slightly better marks, or more experience, or who have earned a position by volunteering time in the lab, etc.

Sometimes the best "programs" are the ones where you define a position for yourself. Go and talk with some of your professors and find out if anyone is looking for a junior lab assistant or a programmer for the summer.

4. Mar 21, 2009 #3
    Thanks for your answer Choppy.
    Yes, You understand wright, I am an undergraduate student, and my career has 5 courses (meant to be studied in 5 years) but I have completed 4 courses in only two years.
    Maybe the reason why I am being rejected is that my experience as an undergraduate student is too small... I hope next summer I will be accepted somewhere...
    Maybe being a spaniard is a problem when applying for grants offered by universities in USA.

5. Mar 22, 2009 #4
    I don't know this for sure, but I think that being a Spaniard may count against you when applying to undergraduate summer positions in the US. I don't know exactly what programs you've applied to, but a lot of programs(such as all REU programs) get money from the National Science Foundation and I know that they require students to be US citizens to participate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook