1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Help with surjectivity proof

1. Jul 15, 2010 #1
    The problem is:

Prove that the function, f:(-1,1)->R given by f(x)=x/(1-x^2) is surjective

The way I have learned to prove a function is surjective is to solve for an x that is given explicitly in terms of y and then plug it into the equation and show that y=y, and thus any y in the codomain will have a corresponding x such that f(x)=y. But in this problem I can't for the life of me seem to solve for an x explicitly in terms of y, I'm assuming it can't be done. I solved for an x explicitly in terms of x and y, but I'm not sure what that gets me. There must a more intuitive, simple way to prove it.

I mean I understand why its surjective since at -1 and 1 the function diverges to -∞ and ∞ respectively so every value in R will have some corresponding input within the open interval (-1,1), but I can't figure out how to prove it without employing facts about the continuity of polynomials and limits etc. which I don't believe I am allowed to use.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2010 #2
    Let's try once again:
    [tex]y=\frac{x}{1-x^2}[/tex]
    [tex]y - x^2y=x[/tex]
    [tex]y x^2 + x - y = 0[/tex]
    Now, recall the quadratic formula:
    [tex]x=\frac{1}{2y}(1\pm \sqrt{1+4y^2})[/tex]
    for [tex]y\neq 0[/tex]. But solution with "+" is clearly greater than one or less than -1.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook