How do I find the other roots of a polynomial if one root is given?

• Thread starter skyza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Division
In summary, the given polynomial has one complex root at 2-i. Using the hint given, we can work out the correct quadratic factor of f(x) to be x2 - 4x + 5. The final factorization of f(x) is (x-3)(x2 - 4x + 5). Note that x2 - 4x + 5 has no real linear factors and can be factored as (x-2+i)(x-2-i). Therefore, the remaining real root is 2+i.
skyza
Here's the problem I have to do:

Let f(x)= x^3 -7x^2 +17x-15
One zero of f(x) is K=2-i find all others and write f(x) in a factored form.

I ended up getting:

f(x)= x^2 -x+2

Is this correct?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
skyza said:
Here's the problem I have to do:

Let f(x)= x^3 -7x^2 +17x-15
One zero of f(x) is K=2-i find all others and write f(x) in a factored form.

I ended up getting:

f(x)= x^2 -x+2

Is this correct?

Clearly not, because f(x) was given as a cubic, but you ended up with a quadratic. But the bigger problem is that the quadratic you wrote is not even a factor of f(x).

Say we set f(x) = 0 to get a polynomial equation in x with integer coefficients. Do you know any property that complex roots of such an equation must have? Hint: conjugate.

Once you use that hint, you can easily work out the correct quadratic factor of f(x), then perform long division.

If you want to use synthetic division using the complex root (2-i), it's possible, but fairly tedious (complex multiplication is quite a lot of work).

Of course, it's possible to work out the remaining real root (which happens to be an integer) by using the rational root theorem and a little trial and error, following which you can do the synthetic division easily, but that wouldn't be following the hint given in the question. They want you to work out the quadratic factor first, then divide to get the single linear factor.

This is how I've done it so far. I have to use synthetic division. I tried -1 & 1 and neither worked, so I tried 3

Attachments

• IMG_20120416_214507.jpg
    IMG_20120416_214507.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 473
skyza said:
This is how I've done it so far. I have to use synthetic division. I tried -1 & 1 and neither worked, so I tried 3

In essence, you're using the Rational Root Theorem, as I mentioned. The way the question was phrased (giving you a complex factor) seems to be against this approach. Nevertheless, it'll give you the right answer.

BTW, you don't have to test each of those candidate roots by division! Just substitute them back into f(x) and see if the expression becomes zero. In this case, f(3) = 0, so (x-3) is a factor of f(x).

Now, looking at your synthetic division of f(x) over (x-3), the first step's fine. You ended up with (1, -4, 5, 0) in a row. With that, you're actually done. That row of numbers signifies a quadratic polynomial, with the first three numbers representing the respective coefficient from x2 down to the constant term. The final zero represents the remainder after division - you expect this to be 0, because (x-3) is a factor of f(x). I don't know why you continued writing numbers below that row, it's not necessary, and that's why you got a wrong answer.

So the quadratic factor is x2 - 4x + 5.

The final factorisation of f(x) = (x-3)(x2 - 4x + 5).

Note that the quadratic factor x2 - 4x + 5 has a negative discriminant (the b2 - 4ac thing), so you can conclude that it has no real linear factors. If you want to try to factorise it, you'll end up with (x-z1)(x-z2), where z1 and z2 are complex conjugates. In fact, you were given the value of one of the complex numbers at the start of the question, and here it's (2-i). So x2 - 4x + 5 = (x - (2-i))(x-(2+i)) = (x-2+i)(x-2-i).

Last edited:
Curious3141 said:
In essence, you're using the Rational Root Theorem, as I mentioned. The way the question was phrased (giving you a complex factor) seems to be against this approach. Nevertheless, it'll give you the right answer.

BTW, you don't have to test each of those candidate roots by division! Just substitute them back into f(x) and see if the expression becomes zero. In this case, f(3) = 0, so (x-3) is a factor of f(x).

Now, looking at your synthetic division of f(x) over (x-3), the first step's fine. You ended up with (1, -4, 5, 0) in a row. With that, you're actually done. That row of numbers signifies a quadratic polynomial, with the first three numbers representing the respective coefficient from x2 down to the constant term. The final zero represents the remainder after division - you expect this to be 0, because (x-3) is a factor of f(x). I don't know why you continued writing numbers below that row, it's not necessary, and that's why you got a wrong answer.

So the quadratic factor is x2 - 4x + 5.

The final factorisation of f(x) = (x-3)(x2 - 4x + 5).

Note that the quadratic factor x2 - 4x + 5 has a negative discriminant (the b2 - 4ac thing), so you can conclude that it has no real linear factors. If you want to try to factorise it, you'll end up with (x-z1)(x-z2), where z1 and z2 are complex conjugates. In fact, you were given the value of one of the complex numbers at the start of the question, and here it's (2-i). So x2 - 4x + 5 = (x - (2-i))(x-(2+i)) = (x-2+i)(x-2-i).

I really appreciate the help. Some of my notes made me think to keep going, but I see how to do it now. I also figured out that I don't need to test each number.
Thank you.

Why are you trying 1 and -1? You are told that 2- i is a root. You could use synthetic division to divide by 2- i. Or, since this polynomial has only real coefficients, you can argue that 2+ i is also a root and so a quadratic factor is [itex](x- 2+ i)(x- 2- i)= ((x- 2)+ i)((x- 2)- i)= (x- 2) ^2- i^2= x^2- 4x+ 4- 1= x^2- 4x+ 3[/itex] and divide by that to find the third linear factor. Of course, you cannot us "synthetic" division to do that.

HallsofIvy said:
Why are you trying 1 and -1? You are told that 2- i is a root. You could use synthetic division to divide by 2- i. Or, since this polynomial has only real coefficients, you can argue that 2+ i is also a root and so a quadratic factor is [itex](x- 2+ i)(x- 2- i)= ((x- 2)+ i)((x- 2)- i)= (x- 2) ^2- i^2= x^2- 4x+ 4- 1= x^2- 4x+ 3[/itex] and divide by that to find the third linear factor. Of course, you cannot us "synthetic" division to do that.

That should read ... = (x-2)2 - i2 = x2 - 4x + 4 + 1 = x2 - 4x + 5. :wink:

1. What is synthetic division?

Synthetic division is a simplified method of dividing polynomials in which the coefficients are written in a table-like format and the division process is carried out using basic arithmetic operations.

2. When is synthetic division used?

Synthetic division is commonly used to find the roots of a polynomial, evaluate a polynomial at a given value, or to simplify long division of polynomials.

3. How is synthetic division performed?

To perform synthetic division, the coefficients of the polynomial must be written in descending order and any missing terms must be represented by a placeholder with a coefficient of 0. Then, the divisor is written to the left of the table and the division process is carried out using basic arithmetic operations.

4. What are the advantages of using synthetic division?

Synthetic division is often faster and less error-prone than traditional long division of polynomials. It also helps to eliminate the need for constant rearranging of terms and reduces the number of steps required to find the quotient and remainder.

5. Are there any limitations to using synthetic division?

Synthetic division can only be used for dividing polynomials by linear divisors (divisors of the form x - a) and it can only be used to find the quotient and remainder, not the actual roots of the polynomial. It is also not applicable for polynomials with missing terms or non-integer coefficients.