1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with tangent math question

1. Jul 24, 2010 #1
    Hello Everyone,

I'm doing my math in advance so I came across a Trigonometry question I came across in my textbook. I did make some progress but I do not know how to go about it further.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that,

tan3A + tan2A + tanA = tan3Atan2AtanA

3. The attempt at a solution

I did simplify tan3A as- tan(2A+A) and then tried going about it. I just need someone to spur me on to the right approach and not provide the answer necessarily.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2010 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

But I can't...

...since it's generally not true!

The expansion of tan(A+B) is given by [tex]tan(A+B)=\frac{tanA+tanB}{1-tanAtanB}[/tex] but if you know the expansion of sin(A+B) and cos(A+B) then [tex]tan(A+B)=\frac{sin(A+B)}{cos(A+B)}[/tex]

4. Jul 24, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As Mentallic says, you cannot "prove" this because it is not true. For a counter example, take practically any values for A, say "A= 1". Is it possible that the problem was not to "prove an identity" but to solve for a value of A that makes the equation true?

5. Jul 24, 2010 #4
    Thank You! Must have been a typing error in the book. Yes, I do know the expansion of tan(A + B) Thnks anyways. I'll re-check the question and get back to you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook