Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Taylor Series

1. Feb 27, 2015 #1
    $$f(a + x) = \sum_{k=0}^∞ \frac{f^{(k)}(a) x^k}{k!}$$

Usually written as:

$$f(t) = \sum_{k=0}^∞ \frac{f^{(k)}(a) (t-a)^k}{k!}$$

Where ##t = a + x##
    Is the taylor expansion supposed to give the same result for all ##a##? The reason this confuses me is because this seems to suggest that ##f(1 + x) = f(4 + x) = f(π + x)## and so on, which is usually not the case. Where did I go wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2015 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Yes, in the sense that for a given [itex] t [/itex]

[itex] f(t) = \sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{f^{(k)}(a_1) (t-a_1)^k}{k!} = \sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{f^{(k)}(a_2)(t-a_2)^k}{k!} [/itex]

when both series converge.

In the first version you listed for Taylor series, to say that the equation holds for different [itex] a_1, a_2 [/itex] does not imply [itex] f(a_1 + x) = f(a_2 + x) [/itex] since, in general, [itex] f^{(k)}(a_1) \ne f^{(k)}(a_2) [/itex]. In the second version you listed, different values of [itex] a_1, a_2 [/itex] do not imply different values of [itex] t [/itex].

4. Feb 27, 2015 #3
    So the variable ##x## must also change for ##t## to remain well-defined.

5. Feb 27, 2015 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

The meaning of that statement isn't entirely clear, but I'm tempted to say yes.

6. Feb 27, 2015 #5
    In order to maintain the same meaning of ##t## (and ##f(t)##) while changing the value of ##a##, we must change the value of ##x##.

7. Feb 27, 2015 #6

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Yes, if we assert [itex] t = a + x [/itex].

8. Feb 28, 2015 #7
    If we were to swap the positions of all ##a##'s and ##x##'s in the expansion; that is: ##f(x) + f'(x)a + \frac{f''(x)a^2}{2!} + ....##, would we get the same result? I understand that our goal is to write a power series where the powers are constantly increasing on a variable, not a constant. But I'm curious, would this give the same result?

9. Feb 28, 2015 #8

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

A logician could object to calling such a change in the formula "the same result" since logician wants it made clear which symbols are variables (in some scope) and which are constants (in some scope). Technically, a symbol like "x", should appear with the scope of a quantifier (like "for each") when we write a mathematical statement. People who do calculus are careful about quantifying their variables when they do epsilon-delta proofs (e.g. for each epsilon > 0, there exists a delta ...such that...), but in other aspects of calculus they are careless. You can talk about "Taylor's Formula" as a string of symbols. To ask a precise mathematical question about its meaning you need to first state "Taylor's Theorem" as a theorem. See which quantifiers apply to which variables. Then you can ask whether the symbols representing the variables can be swapped.

10. Feb 28, 2015 #9
    (a_n)_1^infty

11. Feb 28, 2015 #10
    ({a_n})_1^ \infty

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook