Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Help with tension physics

1. Aug 31, 2005 #1
    A pulley is attached to the ceiling. Spring scale A is attached to the wall and a rope runs horizontally form it and over the pulley. The same rope is then attached to a spring scale B. On the other side of scale B hangs a 120 N weight. What are the readings of the two scales A and B? The weights of the scales are negligible.

please help

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2005 #2

mezarashi

Homework Helper

I don't see why the scale readings shouldn't be the same. The pulley is considered mass-less correct?

4. Aug 31, 2005 #3
    Well... If I have pictured it correctly then they would both read 120N

As there are in series so to speak. If they were in a parallel arrangement then it would be 60N each (that is if there were 2 strings holding from the ceiling).

I think the pulley is irrelevant and you could imagine the system just hanging from the ceiling.

5. Aug 31, 2005 #4

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Also, the question neglects friction in the pulley.

This is a statics problem and the question becomes, what can you say about the tension in the string? What is the effect of the pulley?

6. Aug 31, 2005 #5
    thanks thats what i thought also

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook