1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Tension problem

1. May 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A string is wrapped several times around the rim of a small hoop with radius 0.0800 meters and mass 0.344 kg. If the free end of the string is held in place and the hoop is released from rest calculate the tension in the string while the hoop descends as the string unwinds. Give your answer in Newtons to the third decimal place.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex] Torque = (Tension)*(Radius) = (Impulse)*(angular acceleration) = (1/2)*(Mass)*(Radius2)*(angular acceleration)

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to derive the solution down to, Tension = (1/3)*(mass)*(g) but I am not returned with the correct answer. I calculated 1.12 N and the correct answer states 1.686 N

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

First of all I is not impulse, it's the moment of Inertia. And the moment of inertia for a hoop would be m*R2 not 1/2*m*R2 because the mass is at the rim, not evenly distributed across a solid disk.

Secondly you have the right idea.

T*R = I*α

But T here will be m*(g - a) where a is the translational acceleration (vertical).
    And α is the angular acceleration that can be expressed as a/R.

Rewriting then and substituting

m*(g - a)*R = m*R2*a/R

m*g*R - a*m*R = a*m*R

So ...

a = g/2

And so ...

T = m*(g - g/2) = m*g/2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook