Find Tension in Lamp Hanging Vertically w/ 3 Wires

• Thread starter perfectchaos180
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the conversation discusses a lamp with a mass of 42.6 hanging vertically from wires. The tension in the wires, represented by T1, T2, and T3, are calculated using equations and the sum of forces being equal to zero. The second question involves using simultaneous equations to find one of the tension forces and determining the relative positions of T1, T2, and T3. The tension in the rope at C must be greater than all three of the boxes' friction forces.
perfectchaos180
1. A lamp with mass 42.6 is hanging vertically from wires. Wire with T1 is pulling straight up on the lamp, and then it branches off to other wires with T2 and T3. T2 forms an angle of 120 degrees with the horizontal (or 60 degrees facing left). T3 forms a 30 degree angle with the horizontal. Find the Tensions

2. Sum of Forces = 0

3. T1 is just the force of gravity on the lamp so (42.6 * 9.81) = 418 N. Then I broke T2 and T3 into x and y components. T2x = T2cos60, T2y = T2sin60. T3x = T3cos30, T3y = T3sin30. Then I built my equations. (-T2cos60) + (T3cos30) = 0. And (-418) + (T2sin60) + (T3sin30) = 0. But then I get stuck

Then also if you could explain this one real quick
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/1196/tensiololnxe9.jpg

I don't know if any real work is needed, I don't know, tension just doesn't make much sense to me, so if someone could explain it I would be really thankful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you set up the equations correctly you can use simultaneous equations to find one of the tension forces.

As to the second questions I believe it's "c".

The reasoning is that the tension in the rope at C needs to be greater than all three of the boxes friction forces

I still really don't get what to do

What are the relative positions of T1, T2 and T3? Are they in the vertical plane? In your attempted solution there is no T1.

If you think T1=mg, you are wrong. The sum of ALL of the vertical components of the tension is equal to mg. And the sum of all of the horizontal components is equal to zero.

1. What is tension?

Tension is the force that pulls or stretches an object, such as a wire, in opposite directions. It is typically measured in units of force, such as newtons or pounds.

2. How is tension calculated in a hanging lamp with 3 wires?

In order to calculate the tension in a hanging lamp with 3 wires, you will need to know the weight of the lamp, the angles at which the wires are hanging, and the length of each wire. Using these values, you can use trigonometric equations to determine the tension in each wire.

3. What factors affect the tension in a hanging lamp with 3 wires?

The tension in a hanging lamp with 3 wires is affected by the weight of the lamp, the angles at which the wires are hanging, and the length of each wire. Any changes in these factors will result in a change in the tension of the wires.

4. How does the weight of the lamp affect the tension in the wires?

The weight of the lamp directly affects the tension in the wires, as the weight is the force pulling down on the wires. The heavier the lamp, the greater the tension in the wires will be.

5. Can the tension in the wires be greater than the weight of the lamp?

Yes, it is possible for the tension in the wires to be greater than the weight of the lamp. This can occur if the angles of the wires are such that they are pulling in opposite directions, resulting in a greater overall tension. However, the weight of the lamp will always be a contributing factor to the tension in the wires.