Calculating Tension and Acceleration in a Pulley System | Physics Help

• Thread starter Leilei
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
The person needs to apply 200 Newtons of force.In summary, the problem involves a weightless and frictionless pulley system with m1 weighing 100N and m2 weighing 300N. The person holding onto m1 causes the system to be motionless. Using equations of force and acceleration, the tension in the rope is calculated to be 300 N and the person must exert 200 N of force to keep the system in equilibrium.
Leilei
Okay this is a problem I can't figure out:

59. A pulley is essentially weightless and frictionless. If m1 weighs 100N and the m2 weighs 300 N, and someone holds on to m1 so that the system is motionless, what is the tension in the rope and the acceleration of m1? How much force must the eprson exert and in what direction?

There is a drawing of the pulley system attached to this post.

Anyway, this is what I did:

Ft = tension
m1g = 100 N
m2g = 300 N
so with some calculations, with g = 9.81 m/s^2, m1 = 10.2 kg and m2 = 30.6 kg

Then I said m1a = m1g - Ft --> m1a = m1g - Ft
And m2a = Ft - m2g --> Ft - m2g

Then I said Ft = m1g - m1a and Ft = m2a + m2g
Then m1g - m1a = m2a + m2g
So plugging everything in and solving for a:

(100 N) - (10.2 kg)a = (30.6 kg)a + 300 N
a = -4.90 m/s^2

OK I wasn't sure if I was suppose to calculate with the negative sign, but anyway... trying to find Ft:

Ft = m1g - m1a
Ft = 100 N - (10.2 kg)(-4.90kg)
Ft = 150 N

Did I do this correctly? Because the answer in the back of my Physics book says the answer is suppose to 300 N, but I can't figure out how they got this answer. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I get an answer of T = 300 N

Take each side of the pulley separately

the first equation would be

[sum] F(yW1) = T - F - W1 = 0

the second equation would be

[sum] F(yW2) = T - W2 = 0

Equating the two equation you get

T - F - W1 = T - W2

F = W2 - W1 = 300 N - 100 N = 200 N

Plug F into the first equation and solve for T

T = F + W1 = 200 N + 100 N = 300 N

So T = 300 N

I have a question: the problem says "someone holds on to m1 so that the system is motionless". Doesn't that MEAN that the acceleration of m1 is 0?

Yes the acceleration of m1 and m2 is zero.

What does F represent in your equations dduardo?

"someone holds on to m1 so that the system is motionless"

That implies that the person is applying a force to the system to put it in equilibrium

Wow, there are too many equations flying around for this question.

Since the system is in equilibrium, all acceleration is 0. So is all force, so

m1g - m2g + F = 0, where F is the force of the person.

Put in the values

100 - 300 + F = 0
F = 200

1. How do you calculate tension in a pulley system?

To calculate tension in a pulley system, you need to first determine the weight of the object being lifted and the number of pulleys in the system. Then, use the formula T = (W/n) + M, where T is the tension, W is the weight, n is the number of pulleys, and M is the mass of the pulley. The resulting tension will be in units of force, such as newtons or pounds.

2. What factors affect the tension in a pulley system?

The tension in a pulley system is affected by the weight of the object being lifted, the number of pulleys in the system, and the mass of the pulleys themselves. Other factors that may affect the tension include friction between the pulleys and the ropes or cables, as well as the angle at which the ropes or cables are pulling on the pulleys.

3. How does the acceleration of the object being lifted affect the tension in a pulley system?

The acceleration of the object being lifted does not directly affect the tension in a pulley system. However, if the acceleration is not constant, the tension may also vary throughout the lifting process. This is because the weight of the object and the force of gravity may change as the object accelerates or decelerates.

4. Can the tension in a pulley system ever be greater than the weight of the object being lifted?

No, the tension in a pulley system cannot be greater than the weight of the object being lifted. According to Newton's third law of motion, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that the tension in the rope or cable pulling the object up must be equal to the weight of the object being lifted.

5. How can you reduce the tension in a pulley system?

To reduce the tension in a pulley system, you can either decrease the weight of the object being lifted or increase the number of pulleys in the system. By distributing the weight of the object over more pulleys, the tension in each individual rope or cable will be reduced. Additionally, reducing friction between the pulleys and the ropes or cables can also help decrease the tension in the system.