Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with test for anion in Copper Chloride

1. Sep 2, 2005 #1
    I was given a small amount of Copper Chloride. When I brought my spatula(dirty ofcourse) the salt turned slightly green. Also when preparing the Sodium extract, I added 1 part CuCl<sub>2</sub> and 3 parts NaCO<sub>3</sub> and 3/4ths water. I stirred it slightly with the spatula, it turned black and my extract got prepared much before the others.

I want to know what was in the spatula that made the extract production quicker coz. during my exams I could probably use it and finish it quickly.

Also the china dish which had my extract became dirty so the teacher asked me to use dil. HCL to clean it. I put a little bit and like magic the dirt went away. I was so amazed. What is the equation of the reaction that happened?
    Why doesnt anyone use HCL for cleaning the kitchen utensils? :rolleyes:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would imagine that the HCl protonated the compound so that it was extracted into the water.

You might want to be a bit more clearer with the first paragraph.
  4. Sep 3, 2005 #3
    perhaps you ever so slightly hydrated the cupricchloride with the dirty spatula which would be why it turned green. When you added the [tex]NaCO_3[/tex] to the [tex]CuCl_2[/tex] you made [tex]CuCO_3[/tex] Which is black. When you then added the hydrochloric acid you converted the [tex]CuCO_3[/tex] back to [tex]CuCl_2[/tex] which is pretty soluble.

People do not use hydrochloric acid to clean their glassware because it does not really clean a lot of things very well. Only oxides and carbonates will really react with it. For organic residues you would need something much stronger, like a strong oxidizer such as [tex]H_2SO_5[/tex] or [tex]Mn_2O_7[/tex] which are usually created in situ by mixing sulfuric acid with hydrogenperoxide or potassiumpermanganate.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?