Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with [tex]

1. Dec 5, 2014 #1
    [tex]\frac{1/sqrt 1-{v/c}^2}[/tex]

(1/(sqrt 1-(v/c)^2))
    Obviously I don't use tex enough to know how to write a simple relationship. I'm trying to get the tex for an inverse relationship for the time dilation factor to apply to the time calculated in the rest frame d/c, i.e. t=distance light travels divided by the speed of light.

I would describe it as 1 in the numerator, and in the denominator, the sqrt of (1 minus (v/c)^2).

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I fixed the LaTeX above. Here's what I did (delete the space between each pair of $). I have to do that so that the script won't get rendered in the browser.
    Code (Text):
    $ $ \frac{1}{\sqrt{ 1- (v/c)^2}} $ $

4. Dec 5, 2014 #3
    Code (Text):
    $$ \frac{1}{\sqrt{ 1- (v/c)^2}} $$

Excellent. Thank you.

5. Dec 5, 2014 #4

Mark44

Some more info here: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/
    Be advised that since we recently moved to a different platform for PF, some of the things stated at the page above don't work as advertised. We are slowly getting this revised.

6. Dec 5, 2014 #5
    Darn, this is embarrassing, but I'm posting in another forum that uses XenForo and couldn't get tex to work so I came here, got help, it worked here, and when I tried it on the other forum, it failed. Is the $ $ $ $ unique to Physicsforums? I also tried [ tex] [ /tex] over there though and it didn't work either. I just saw your second post and will look at that link.

7. Dec 5, 2014 #6

Mark44

I don't know if the $ $ (or # # for inline TeX, similar to [ itex ]) is specific to us here. You might try posting this as a question in the Forum Feedback section.

8. Dec 5, 2014 #7
    This may or may not be of interest, but I found that over there, after you post with tex, there is a time delay before it renders properly. I mentioned that, and rpenner saw my post and said:

"It's a clever use of Javascript, so it has to be triggered by loading (or reloading) the page and doesn't reflect your intent on first posting as the forum software javascript tries to display your new post (or edit) without reloading the page."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook