Solving for y in a Textbook Problem: Understanding the Next Step | Helpful Tips

In summary, the (2 + sqrt(pi)) comes from adding sqrt(pi)y to both sides of the equation and then factoring out a y from the left hand side. This allows for easier solving for y in the next step.
powp
Hello

I am doing this problem in my textbook and I am not sure what is happing in this one step.

[tex]2y = 360 \sqrt{\pi} - \sqrt{\pi}y [/tex]

Trying to solve for y and this is what they show as the next step

[tex](2 + \sqrt{\pi})y = 360 \sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

Where does this [tex](2 + \sqrt{\pi})[/tex] come from?? where did the other y go and the [tex]-\sqrt{\pi}[/tex]?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The [tex](2 + \sqrt{\pi})y[/tex] came from adding [tex]\sqrt{\pi}y[/tex] to both sides and then factoring out a y from the left hand side. Have you not learned about collecting terms??

[tex]2y = 360 \sqrt{\pi} - \sqrt{\pi}y [/tex]

[tex]2y + \sqrt{\pi}y = 360\sqrt{\pi} + \sqrt{\pi}y - \sqrt{\pi}y[/tex]

[tex](2y + \sqrt{\pi})y = 360\sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

Last edited:
They added [tex]\sqrt{\pi}y[/tex] to both sides.

Now on the left side of the equation we get [tex]2y + \sqrt{\pi}y[/tex]

and on the right we get [tex]360\sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

Now on the left side, they factored out the y so you can solve for it.

[tex]2y + \sqrt{\pi}y = y(2 + \sqrt{\pi})[/tex]

Now putting all of this info together we get

[tex](2 + \sqrt{\pi})y = 360 \sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

and [tex] y = \frac{(360 \sqrt{\pi})}{(2 + \sqrt{\pi})}[/tex]

Jameson

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the best way to get help with textbook answers?

The best way to get help with textbook answers is to first try to understand the material on your own. If you are still struggling, you can reach out to your teacher or professor for clarification. You can also join a study group or seek help from a tutor.

2. How can I find the correct answers for my textbook questions?

You can find the correct answers for your textbook questions by using online resources such as study guides, solution manuals, or online forums where students and teachers discuss textbook material. You can also ask your teacher or professor for the correct answers.

3. Can I trust the answers I find online for my textbook questions?

It is always best to double-check the answers you find online for your textbook questions. Make sure the source is reliable and credible, and compare the answers to your own understanding of the material. It is always better to confirm with your teacher or professor to ensure accuracy.

4. How can I improve my understanding of textbook answers?

To improve your understanding of textbook answers, it is important to actively engage with the material. Take thorough notes, ask questions, and participate in class discussions. You can also try teaching the material to someone else, as this can help solidify your understanding.

5. Is it okay to use textbook answer keys to complete my assignments?

Using textbook answer keys to complete assignments is generally not recommended, as it does not help you learn and understand the material. It is important to work through the questions on your own and seek help when needed. Using answer keys as a reference after attempting the questions on your own can be a helpful study tool.