Help with Project to Implement Start/Stop Timer

• Thread starter Physicslearner500039
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, the speaker is seeking help in implementing a start stop timer for their project using a 555 timer and three seven segment displays. They want to use a start and stop button or a single button for both, and have the timer configured for one second. They also mention the use of BCD counters and flip flops for the start/stop function.
Physicslearner500039
Hi All,

I am doing this project where I want to implement a start stop timer. I want to use one start and one stop button (or a single button for both) and interface them with 555 timer. The 555 timer I would like to configure for one second. The output I would like to display on the 3 seven segment displays (up to 3 digits 0,1,...999 etc). So, once I press the start button the 555 timer will start counting the seconds and display the same as 1,2 etc upto 999 on the seven segment displays, andd stop once the stop button is pressed and hold the value. Could somebody please guide me how to do this? I don't want to use microcontroller. I know how to configure the 555 timer for 1 sec but remaining part is little bit confusing for me.

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Satya

Physics news on Phys.org
Pipe the pulsed output into cascade of three BCD Counters (eg 4510) and the output of the BCD Counters to the three 7-seg displays via 7-seg decoders (eg 4511)

As for the start/stop - the hint word to search for is 'flip flop'

1. What is a Start/Stop Timer?

A Start/Stop Timer is a device or tool that allows you to track the amount of time you spend on a task or project. It has a start and stop button that you can use to track the duration of your work.

2. How can a Start/Stop Timer help with project implementation?

A Start/Stop Timer can help with project implementation by providing a more accurate and objective measurement of the time spent on each task. It can also help with time management and productivity by setting a specific time frame for completing each task.

3. What are the benefits of using a Start/Stop Timer?

Some benefits of using a Start/Stop Timer include increased productivity, better time management, more accurate tracking of time spent on tasks, and the ability to identify areas for improvement in the project process.

4. Are there different types of Start/Stop Timers available?

Yes, there are different types of Start/Stop Timers available, including physical timers, software or app timers, and even built-in timers on certain devices.

5. How can I use a Start/Stop Timer effectively for my project?

To use a Start/Stop Timer effectively for your project, it is important to set specific time goals for each task, use the timer consistently, and regularly review and adjust your time management strategies based on the data collected from the timer.