1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with this Calculus problem

1. Jan 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The Fresnel function is given as S(x) = ∫sin(3πt^2)dt from 0 to x. Find the limit as x approaches 0 of S(x)/4x^3

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I took the derivative of the S(x) function to be able to plug x in. I then used L'Hospital's rule after getting 0/0. I took the derivative a second time after getting 0/0 again. My final answer was π/2, which is wrong. The other answer choices are π/4, 3π/2, 1/2, and 1/4.

sin(3πx^2)/4x^3 ; took derivative of top and bottom and got (6πx)(cos(3πx^2)/12x. Plugged in 0 and got 0/0. Took derivative of top and bottom again and got, (cos3πx^2)(6π)+(6πx)(-sin(3πx^2)(6πx). Plugged in 0 and got π/2 as final answer. Where did I go wrong and what is the right answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2012 #2
    When you took the derivative of S(x) = ∫sin(3πt^2)dt and plugged x in to get sin(3πx^2), that counts as differentiating right? Did you do the same to the denominator? You claimed you started with sin(3πx^2)/4x^3, but shouldn't you start with sin(3πx^2)/12x^2 ?

4. Jan 24, 2012 #3
    OMFG. Derivative of 4x^3 is NOT 12x. WOW....I HATE WHEN I MAKE STUPID MISTAKES.....Answer is pi/4. FML. Lost five points on my homework because of THAT stupid carelessness.

5. Jan 24, 2012 #4
    :D. It's moments like these that make you less prone to error in the future :P, atleast I find.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook