How to Differentiate a Complex Function: Tips and Tricks for Success

• Thread starter Millacol88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary: Thank you both for your help!In summary, the conversation was about differentiating a function and the steps taken to do so. The person initially tried simplifying by distributing and using product and quotient rules, but the derivative did not match the original function. After double checking and correcting some errors, they were able to get the correct derivative and found that the zero was at the same x-value as the local minimum of the original function.
Millacol88
Does somebody want to help me with differentiating this function:

(0.003 + 0.004[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex])∏r2 + 0.004∏r [(2250 - ∏r3) / 3∏r2)]

Originally I tried simplifying it by distributing the 0.004∏r into the fraction, but whenever I did that the two expressions were never equivalent when I checked them on a graphing calculator. Then I tried using the product and quotient rules to differentiate the second term and the power rule for the first, but based on the graph that was not the correct derivative. I found that the derivative had only one zero at -1 which doesn't make sense because the original function clearly has a local minimum at around x = 4. Any help is appreciated, this is really bugging me. :s

Physics news on Phys.org
Millacol88 said:

Originally I tried simplifying it by distributing the 0.004∏r into the fraction, but whenever I did that the two expressions were never equivalent when I checked them on a graphing calculator. Then I tried using the product and quotient rules to differentiate the second term and the power rule for the first, but based on the graph that was not the correct derivative. I found that the derivative had only one zero at -1 which doesn't make sense because the original function clearly has a local minimum at around x = 4. Any help is appreciated, this is really bugging me. :s
What did you get for your function when you did the following?
Originally I tried simplifying it by distributing the 0.004∏r into the fraction, but ...

Are you sure there wasn't an algebra mistake? Be sure to double check your signs, a missed negative sign can be disasterous. Also double check your powers.

Did you notice that after the plus sign, the pi and r cancel with the pi and one r in the denominator? Makes it so you only need to use the quotient rule in the second term.

Before differentiation, it simplifies to: N*r^2 - M*r +L*(1/r) where N, M, and L are just numbers.

After simplifying I get:
(0.003 + 0.004√2) ∏r2 + 3/r - (4∏r2) / 300

Which is equivalent now according to a graphing calculator.

Differentiating, I get:
(0.006 + 0.008√2) ∏r - 3r-2 - 1500/∏r3

But that's not right. i.e. it has positive values when the slope of the function is negative. :/

Sorry, I missed an r in my earlier calculation...

Yeah I noticed. No worries. :tongue: Do you know what's wrong with the derivative. I found just with the power rule and the quotient rule on the last term.

Where did you get that 4/300 from? Shouldn't it be 1/750?

The 4/300 has a decimal expansion of 0.01333333... and the 1/750 is 0.0013333... I think you missed a zero. :)

I typed that wrong, I did get 4/3000 (1/750).

Ok...that makes sense. :) Where is that 1/r^3 coming from in your derivative?

Using the quotient rule on the 4∏r2 / 3000 term. The denominator of the differentiated expression is 16∏2r4. A pi and an r cancel from the numerator which was 8∏r(3000).

Quotient rule? You have the first two terms in the derivative right...the r and r^-2 terms...but the last one -1500/(pi*r^3) is wrong. That term should be your -8*pi*r/3000. You shouldn't need the quotient rule at all, just the power rule.

Millacol88 said:

Millacol88 said:
After simplifying I get:
(0.003 + 0.004√2) ∏r2 + 3/r - (4∏r2) / 300

Which is equivalent now according to a graphing calculator.

Differentiating, I get:
(0.006 + 0.008√2) ∏r - 3r-2 - 1500/∏r3

But that's not right. i.e. it has positive values when the slope of the function is negative. :/
It looks like you forgot to multiply by 0.004 .

SammyS said:
It looks like you forgot to multiply by 0.004 .

No, I multiplied that in at the very beginning. I scaled up the fraction by 1000 times so I had a 4 in the numerator rather than a decimal. After fixing what Reptilian mentioned, my derivative looks correct, and the zero is at the x-value of that local minimum, so I think it's right.

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It measures how much a function is changing at that point, or in other words, the slope of the function at that point.

2. Why do we need to find derivatives?

Finding derivatives is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function and its rate of change. It is also essential in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and statistics, where functions and their rates of change are used to model real-world phenomena.

3. How do I find a derivative?

To find a derivative, you can use the derivative rules, which are a set of formulas that help you calculate the derivative of different types of functions. These rules include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. You can also use the limit definition of a derivative, which involves taking the limit of a difference quotient as it approaches zero.

4. What are some common mistakes when finding derivatives?

Some common mistakes when finding derivatives include not applying the correct derivative rule, forgetting to use the chain rule for composite functions, and making algebraic errors. It is also essential to pay attention to the domain of the function and any restrictions when finding derivatives.

5. How can I check if my derivative is correct?

You can check if your derivative is correct by taking the derivative of the result and seeing if it matches the original function. You can also graph both the original function and its derivative to visually compare their behavior. Additionally, you can use online derivative calculators or ask a teacher or tutor to check your work.