1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with this derivative.

1. Mar 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm working on implicit differentiation and there is one part of the problem i'm having trouble with so I just pulled it out.
    d/dx[6+sin(xy)]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    They get the answer of this to be sin(xy) [(x) dy/dx+y] How do they get that? Here is what I get and how I arrive at it.
    d/dx[6+sin(xy)]= d/dx[sin(xy)]= cos(xy) [d/dy (xy) ][dy/dx]= xcos(xy)dy/dx I believe the x comes out because we are evaluating the derivative of y at x, so the y is one but the x comes out, is that the right idea? Thanks.

-Kevin

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2013 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you sure its sin, and not cos?

Where did the d/dy come from? I guess you must have rewritten d/dx as dy/dx d/dy, using the chain rule. That seems unnecessary, since it's not easier to apply d/dy to xy than to apply d/dx to it.

4. Mar 22, 2013 #3
    Yes sorry it is cos(xy)
    Yes, I was using the chain rule. So if apply d/dx to it then the answer for that part would be y correct?

5. Mar 22, 2013 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should have

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}(\sin(xy))=\cos(xy)\frac{d}{dx}(xy)\ .[/itex]

Now, what is [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \frac{d}{dx}(xy)\ ?[/itex]

6. Mar 23, 2013 #5
    Upon working through the problem again from the start I was able to solve it. I guess I was just tired when I first attempted it. Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted