Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with this Hamiltonian

1. Sep 1, 2003 #1
    given a classic hamiltonian of the form H=f(x)P**n what would be it quantum version of it?..how do you quantizy this?... (n is an integer)
    Should you take all the possible permutation of it?..i have this problem...thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2003 #2
    I think first of all you have to expand f(x) into a Taylor series and then make every xm*pn symmetric.My first impulse would be to write it (xm*pn + pn*xm)/2, but I have strong doubts about it as I seem to have heared my teacher say "stick to those simple ones".

4. Sep 1, 2003 #3
    hint. The Energy has to equal n*hbar

5. Sep 1, 2003 #4

pmb

I don't see the point of expanding f(x). Here's what I'd do

H = [f(x)*P^n + P^n*f(x)]/2

Pete

6. Sep 1, 2003 #5
    Well, as a first thing I have to make sure H is a linear operator.

7. Sep 1, 2003 #6

pmb

Of course it's linear. Regardless of what particular form it takes so long as it's a Hamiltonian I.e.

H(a|Psi1> + b|Psi2>) = aH|Psi1> + bH|Psi2>

I.e. you take H and multiply it through. And example of a non-linear operator is O where O(A) = A^2

In the present case

H(Psi) = [f(x)P^n][a*Psi1 + b*Psi2]
    = [f(x)P^n](a*Psi1) + [f(x)P^n](b*Psi2)
    = a*[f(x)P^n]Psi1 + b*[f(x)P^n]Psi2
    = a*H(Psi1) + b*H(Psi2)

However I don't see what possible physical system this Hamiltonian could belong to and thus the reason to call it a Hamiltonian. But that's par for the course sometimes. Goldstein's text has an example of a Hamiltonian in the problem section for which I can't see what physical system it describes either.

Pmb0

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?