How Do You Quantize a Classical Hamiltonian of the Form H=f(x)P^n?

• Thread starter eljose79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hamiltonian
In summary: Originally posted by PeteIn summary, the quantum version of a Hamiltonian would be H=f(x)P**n where n is an integer. You would need to expand f(x) into a Taylor series and make every xm*pn symmetric.
eljose79
given a classic hamiltonian of the form H=f(x)P**n what would be it quantum version of it?..how do you quantizy this?... (n is an integer)
Should you take all the possible permutation of it?..i have this problem...thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think first of all you have to expand f(x) into a Taylor series and then make every xm*pn symmetric.My first impulse would be to write it (xm*pn + pn*xm)/2, but I have strong doubts about it as I seem to have heared my teacher say "stick to those simple ones".

hint. The Energy has to equal n*hbar

Originally posted by Sonty
I think first of all you have to expand f(x) into a Taylor series and then make every xm*pn symmetric.My first impulse would be to write it (xm*pn + pn*xm)/2, but I have strong doubts about it as I seem to have heared my teacher say "stick to those simple ones".

I don't see the point of expanding f(x). Here's what I'd do

H = [f(x)*P^n + P^n*f(x)]/2

Pete

Originally posted by pmb
I don't see the point of expanding f(x).

Well, as a first thing I have to make sure H is a linear operator.

Originally posted by Sonty
Well, as a first thing I have to make sure H is a linear operator.
Of course it's linear. Regardless of what particular form it takes so long as it's a Hamiltonian I.e.

H(a|Psi1> + b|Psi2>) = aH|Psi1> + bH|Psi2>

I.e. you take H and multiply it through. And example of a non-linear operator is O where O(A) = A^2

In the present case

H(Psi) = [f(x)P^n][a*Psi1 + b*Psi2]
= [f(x)P^n](a*Psi1) + [f(x)P^n](b*Psi2)
= a*[f(x)P^n]Psi1 + b*[f(x)P^n]Psi2
= a*H(Psi1) + b*H(Psi2)

However I don't see what possible physical system this Hamiltonian could belong to and thus the reason to call it a Hamiltonian. But that's par for the course sometimes. Goldstein's text has an example of a Hamiltonian in the problem section for which I can't see what physical system it describes either.

Pmb0

1. What is a Hamiltonian?

A Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator that describes the total energy of a system in classical mechanics. It can also be used to describe the state of a quantum system, and is an important tool in understanding the behavior of complex systems.

2. What does a Hamiltonian represent?

A Hamiltonian represents the total energy of a system, including its kinetic and potential energy. In quantum mechanics, it also represents the state of the system and how it will evolve over time.

3. How is a Hamiltonian used in physics?

In physics, a Hamiltonian is used to describe the dynamics of a system and predict its behavior. It is used in classical mechanics to calculate the equations of motion and in quantum mechanics to find the energy levels and probabilities of a quantum system.

4. How do you solve for the Hamiltonian?

The Hamiltonian can be solved for by using mathematical methods such as matrix diagonalization or variational methods. In some cases, it can also be solved analytically by finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian operator.

5. What is the difference between a classical and quantum Hamiltonian?

While both classical and quantum Hamiltonians represent the total energy of a system, they have different forms and interpretations. Classical Hamiltonians use classical mechanics to describe the dynamics of a system, while quantum Hamiltonians use quantum mechanics to describe the state of a system and its evolution over time.