1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Help with this integral

1. Jun 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

integral of (1+e^x)/(1-e^x) dx

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The TA said to make u = e^x
    So, du = e^x dx. dx = du/e^x.
    Since e^x = u

The integral now is (1+u)/(1-u)u
    I am confused as to what to do after distribute the u in the bottom.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Use partial fractions.

4. Jun 27, 2010 #3
    alright so i got A = 1 and B = 2 so now i have the integral of 1/u + 2/(1-u). Which i end up getting ln |u| - 2ln|1-u| + c. Now replacing the u for e^x i get ln e^x - 2 ln(1-e^X). Which is x-2 ln (1-e^x) + c. Is that the right answer?

5. Jun 27, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Here's an alternate method you can use to solve this problem.

Whenever I see combinations of [itex]1\pm e^x[/itex], I look at what happens if I pull out a factor of [itex]e^{x/2}[/itex] to restore symmetry to the quantities. In this case, the integrand becomes

[tex]\frac{1+e^x}{1-e^x} = \frac{e^{x/2}(e^{-x/2}+e^{x/2})}{e^{x/2}(e^{-x/2}-e^{x/2})} = \frac{e^{-x/2}+e^{x/2}}{e^{-x/2}-e^{x/2}}[/tex]

You might notice that the top and bottom can be written in terms of hyperbolic trig functions or that they are derivatives of each other to within a constant factor. In either case, with the appropriate substitution, integrating is straightforward.

6. Jun 27, 2010 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Check it yourself and see if it's the right answer. If the derivative of your answer equals the integrand, then your answer is correct.

7. Jun 27, 2010 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It's easy enough to check. Try differentiating your answer and see if you recover what you started with.

8. Jun 27, 2010 #7
    wow that makes is so much simpler..thanks so much!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook