Integral of (1+e^x)/(1-e^x) dx: Simplifying and Using Substitution Method

• Thread starter akbar786
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation revolved around solving the integral of (1+e^x)/(1-e^x) dx, with one person suggesting to use partial fractions and the other suggesting an alternate method using hyperbolic trig functions. Ultimately, the correct answer was derived and confirmed by checking its derivative.
akbar786

Homework Statement

integral of (1+e^x)/(1-e^x) dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The TA said to make u = e^x
So, du = e^x dx. dx = du/e^x.
Since e^x = u

The integral now is (1+u)/(1-u)u
I am confused as to what to do after distribute the u in the bottom.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use partial fractions.

alright so i got A = 1 and B = 2 so now i have the integral of 1/u + 2/(1-u). Which i end up getting ln |u| - 2ln|1-u| + c. Now replacing the u for e^x i get ln e^x - 2 ln(1-e^X). Which is x-2 ln (1-e^x) + c. Is that the right answer?

Here's an alternate method you can use to solve this problem.

Whenever I see combinations of [itex]1\pm e^x[/itex], I look at what happens if I pull out a factor of [itex]e^{x/2}[/itex] to restore symmetry to the quantities. In this case, the integrand becomes

[tex]\frac{1+e^x}{1-e^x} = \frac{e^{x/2}(e^{-x/2}+e^{x/2})}{e^{x/2}(e^{-x/2}-e^{x/2})} = \frac{e^{-x/2}+e^{x/2}}{e^{-x/2}-e^{x/2}}[/tex]

You might notice that the top and bottom can be written in terms of hyperbolic trig functions or that they are derivatives of each other to within a constant factor. In either case, with the appropriate substitution, integrating is straightforward.

Check it yourself and see if it's the right answer. If the derivative of your answer equals the integrand, then your answer is correct.

akbar786 said:
alright so i got A = 1 and B = 2 so now i have the integral of 1/u + 2/(1-u). Which i end up getting ln |u| - 2ln|1-u| + c. Now replacing the u for e^x i get ln e^x - 2 ln(1-e^X). Which is x-2 ln (1-e^x) + c. Is that the right answer?
It's easy enough to check. Try differentiating your answer and see if you recover what you started with.

wow that makes is so much simpler..thanks so much!

1. What is the purpose of simplifying the integral of (1+e^x)/(1-e^x) dx?

The purpose of simplifying this integral is to make it easier to solve and find the antiderivative. This can make the process of finding the area under the curve more efficient and can also help in solving more complex integrals.

2. How do you simplify the integral of (1+e^x)/(1-e^x) dx?

To simplify this integral, you can use the substitution method. Let u = 1-e^x and du = -e^x dx. This will allow you to rewrite the integral as -1/u du, which can be easily integrated.

3. What is the substitution method and how does it work?

The substitution method is a technique used to simplify integrals by replacing a complicated expression with a simpler one. This is done by letting u equal a part of the expression and using the chain rule to rewrite the integral in terms of u. This makes it easier to solve and find the antiderivative.

4. Can you provide an example of solving the integral of (1+e^x)/(1-e^x) dx using substitution?

Sure, let's use the substitution u = 1-e^x. This means that du = -e^x dx. Rewriting the integral in terms of u, we get -1/u du. Integrating this, we get -ln|u| + C. Substituting back u = 1-e^x, we get the final solution of -ln|1-e^x| + C.

5. Are there any other methods to simplify this integral?

Yes, there are other methods such as using trigonometric identities or partial fractions. However, the substitution method is usually the most efficient and straightforward method for this specific integral.