Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with this integral

1. Nov 26, 2004 #1
    I have some problems in calculating the integral dx/cos(x) i have made the change exp(ix)=t and get the solution (2/i)artan(exp(ix)) but what is the real number solution?.thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It's better to use the half-angle formulas:
    [tex]\cos^{2}(\frac{x}{2})-\sin^{2}(\frac{x}{2})=\cos(x)[/tex]
    [tex]\cos^{2}(\frac{x}{2})+\sin^{2}(\frac{x}{2})=1[/tex]
    Your integral is then easy to evaluate with respect to the variable:
    [tex]u=tan(\frac{x}{2})[/tex]

4. Nov 26, 2004 #3

Maybe I am missing something, but isn't dx/cos(x) = sec(x)dx. Doing that integral is very easy, you should be able to handle it.

5. Nov 27, 2004 #4
    1/cos(x)dx
    =cos(x)/(1-sin^2(x))dx
    =1/(1-sin^2(x))d(sin(x))

6. Nov 28, 2004 #5
    To SomeRandomGuy,

Do you tutor? I have a kid who could use some help with his math homework. No doubt he could benefit from your penetrating insight and clarity of exposition.

7. Nov 28, 2004 #6
    :rofl:

Here's yet another method to do this integral:

[tex]\int \sec x \; dx = \int \sec x \; \frac{\sec x+\tan x}{\sec x+\tan x} \; dx[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{\sec^{2}x + \sec x\tan x}{\sec x+\tan x}\;dx[/tex]

Take [itex]u=\sec x+\tan x[/itex], then [itex]\frac{du}{dx}=\sec x\tan x+\sec^{2}x[/itex].

[tex]\int \frac{\sec^{2}x + \sec x\tan x}{\sec x+\tan x} \; dx = \int \frac{1}{u} \; du = \ln(u) \; + \; C = \ln(\sec x+\tan x) \; + \; C[/tex]

8. Nov 28, 2004 #7
    I am one to appreciate sarcasm as I am a very sarcastic individual myself. I am a tutor, actually, and I will rarely complete an integral or a problem for someone I tutor. Instead, I try to have them figure it out for themselves. That way, it is more likely they will remember the process and what to look for.

9. Nov 29, 2004 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why complicate ?
    [tex] \int \frac{dx}{\cos x}=\int \frac{d(\sin x)}{1-\sin^2 x}=\frac{1}{2}[\int \frac{d(\sin x)}
    {1-\sin x} +\int \frac{d(\sin x)}{1+\sin x}] =...=\frac{1}{2} \ln(\frac{1+\sin x}{1-\sin x})+C
    =...=\ln [\frac{\tan(\frac{x}{2})+1}{\tan(\frac{x}{2})-1}]+C.[/tex]

10. Nov 29, 2004 #9
    dextercioby, your method was already posted. I was only suggesting another method, which I personally don't think is complicated.

11. Nov 29, 2004 #10

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe it was posted...
    Check out that horrible trick u pulled in order to integrate secant of x.You wouldn't expect someone to think of it as simple...Obvious...Besides,it requires a lotta derivatives and it uses the secant function which is (as stated by me) unnecessary...
    It don't matter really how u pull an integral off.The trick is to do it as elegantly as possible.As comprehendable as possible.I assume u're not a teacher/never be one. :wink:

12. Nov 29, 2004 #11
    Erm.. I wasn't trying to do the integral "as elegantly as possible". I was merely providing another another way to do it, in addition to the two methods already posted...

13. Nov 29, 2004 #12

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well,Mr.Devious,apparently u challanged me:
    [tex] \begin {array} {cc} \int \frac{dx}{\cos x} = \int \sec x dx = \int \sec x (\frac {\tan x}{\tan x })dx
    =^{d(\sec x)=\sec x\tan x dx} \int \frac{d(\sec x)}{\sin x \sec x}
    \\=^{\sin x=\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{\sec^{2} x}}} \int \frac{d(\sec x)}{\sqrt{\sec^{2} x-1}}
    =^{\sec x= \cosh \lambda ; \lambda=\cosh^{-1}(\sec x)}
    \int \frac{(\sinh \lambda) d\lambda}{\sinh \lambda}
    \\=\lambda +C= \cosh^{-1}(\sec x) +C = \ln(\sec x+\tan x)+C \end{array}
    [/tex]
    ,where,of course,the expression [tex] f^{-1}(x) [/tex] strands for the inverse of the function [tex] f(x) [/tex].It stood for "argcosh (sec x)",but i couldn't find the function,so that's why i used this notation.

Daniel.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  14. Nov 29, 2004 #13
    Challenged you? Why are you taking this personally? :rofl:

[tex]\int \sec x \; dx = \int \frac{\cos x}{\cos^{2} x} \; dx = \int \frac{\cos x}{1-\sin^{2} x} \; dx [/tex]

Take [itex]u=\sin x[/itex], then [itex]du=\cos x\;dx[/itex]. So:

[tex]\int \sec x \; dx = \int \frac{1}{1-u^{2}} \; du = \tanh^{-1} u \; + \; C = \tanh^{-1}(\sin x) \; + \; C[/tex]

:tongue2:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?