1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with this Laurent Series

1. Apr 2, 2009 #1
    I uploaded a scanned page from Schaum's Outline of Complex Variables. I have some questions on how they found the Laurent series in Example 27.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7172/i0001.jpg [Broken]

If the image doesn't load, go to - http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7172/i0001.jpg" [Broken]

In Example 27 part (b), they used the Laurent series they obtained from part (a) and subtracted this series from the Laurent series they obtained for |z|>3 to get a Laurent series that is valid for |z|>3.

It appears that they are making substitutions into the geometric series to find the power series for 1/(2*(z+1)) (that is convergent?) for |z|>1 and the power series for 1/(2*(z+1)) (that is convergent?) for |z|>3. However, I thought the geometric series did not converge for |z|>1. How can we do these substitutions and say that we have a convergent series for |z|>1 and |z|>3? In other words, how do we know that the series for |z|>1 and |z|>3 actually converge so that we can subtract them?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2009 #2
    Well maybe since 1/(1-z) converges for |z|>1, with z=1/z, we get |1/z|<1 which is equivalent to |z|>1.

Is multiplying the fraction by 1/z a standard procedure for finding the series that converges for |z|>1 ?

4. Apr 2, 2009 #3
    The geometric series is [tex]\frac{1}{1-z} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty z^n[/tex] and converges for [tex]|z|<1[/tex]. It diverges for [tex]|z|>1[/tex].

If [tex]|z|>1[/tex], then [tex]|1/z|<1[/tex]. The way they get the series expansion in part (a) is:
    [tex]\frac{1}{2(z+1)} = \frac{1}{2z} \cdot \frac{1}{1-\left(-\frac{1}{z} \right)} = \frac{1}{2z} \sum_{n=0}^\infty \left( -\frac{1}{z} \right)^n = \frac{1}{2z} \sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^n \frac{1}{z^n} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^n \frac{1}{2z^{n+1}} = \frac{1}{2z} - \frac{1}{2z^2} + \frac{1}{2z^3} - \cdots [/tex]

Now in part (b), if [tex]|z|>3[/tex], then [tex]|1/z|<3[/tex], and thus [tex]|3/z|<1[/tex]. Then again using the geometric series:
    [tex]\frac{1}{2(z+3)} = \frac{1}{2z}\cdot \frac{1}{1-\left( -\frac{3}{z} \right)} = \frac{1}{2z} \sum_{n=0}^\infty \left( -\frac{3}{z} \right)^n = \frac{1}{2z} \sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^n \frac{3^n}{z^n} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^n \frac{3^n}{2z^{n+1}} = \frac{1}{2z} - \frac{3}{2z^2} + \frac{9}{2z^3} - \cdots [/tex]

For part (b), we need the Laurent expansion for the annulus [tex]3<|z|<\infty[/tex]. (Laurent expansions are always defined for an annulus.) Both of the series we have above converge for |z|>3. (The first converges for [tex]|z|>1[/tex], which means it converges for [tex]|z|>3[/tex].) Then we can just add the series terms together to get the final Laurent expansion in the annulus [tex]3<|z|<\infty[/tex].

Hope this helps!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook