Solve the Maximum Months for 30 Card Players in 6 Groups of 5 | Maths Help

• Thread starter rusty009
  • Start date
In summary, 30 card players can play in 6 groups of 5 every month with the condition that no player plays with another player again in a subsequent month. This can go on indefinitely by randomly assigning players to different tables each month.
rusty009
Hi,

someone just asked me this on MSN and it's bugging me, here's the question

30 card players want to play in 6 groups of 5 every month, such that no player ever plays with another player again in a subsequent month.

What is the maximum number of months that the players could play under these rules? Why?

I'm not sure where to start and solve it really, first thoughts tell me permutations but can't really see how to do it, I've been out of this game for too long ! Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Randomly pick 6 groups of 5, and let them play on one table each. The next month each player from one group distribute themselves to the other tables such that no two persons from one group is on the same table. Now let them play, and repeat the process next month. This can go on indefinitely.

I think the interpretation is that no two players which have previously played will play again.

1. How do I solve this math problem?

To solve a math problem, you can follow these steps: 1) Read the problem carefully and make sure you understand what is being asked. 2) Identify what information is given and what information you need to find. 3) Choose an appropriate method or formula to solve the problem. 4) Show your work and double-check your answer.

2. Can you explain this math concept to me?

Absolutely! I would be happy to explain any math concept to you. Please provide me with more specific information about the concept you are struggling with so I can give you a clear and helpful explanation.

3. What if I don't understand the steps to solve the problem?

If you are having trouble understanding the steps to solve a math problem, you can try breaking it down into smaller parts or looking for similar examples to help you understand. You can also ask a teacher or tutor for additional explanation or clarification.

4. How can I improve my math skills?

To improve your math skills, it is important to practice regularly and seek help when you need it. You can also try using different learning strategies, such as visual aids or mnemonic devices, and reviewing previous lessons to reinforce your understanding.

5. Is there a shortcut or trick to solve this math problem?

While there are some math problems that have shortcuts or tricks to solve them, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and methods to truly master the material. Shortcuts and tricks may help in certain situations, but they should not be relied on exclusively.