Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with this path integral.

1. Feb 6, 2008 #1
    I am having troubles to solve the functional integral:

[tex] \int D( X) e^{i(\dot X)^{2}+ a\delta (X-1)+ b\delta (X-3) [/tex]

if a and b were 0 the integral is just a Gaussian integral but i do not know how to deal with the Delta distribution inside some may help ??
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2008 #2
    I have difficulty understanding what X is. Is it some variable, or is it a function, like X(x). When you write

it looks like X is a function, for example [itex]X:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}[/itex] or [itex]X:[-L,L]\to\mathbb{R}[/itex] or something similar. But when you write

it looks like X is just some parameter, like [itex]X\in\mathbb{R}[/itex].

Or is the number 3 a constant function [itex]\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}[/itex], [itex]3(x)=3[/itex], and the delta function an infinite dimensional delta function, like [itex]\delta^{\mathbb{R}}[/itex]?
  4. Feb 6, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

if that is in path integral repreesetation, shouldn't there be an integral in the exponent.?,
    [tex]e^{S(q)}[/tex] where S(q) is the action which is an integration over relevant time period of the Lagrangian of system.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?