Child on a Merry-Go-Round: Calculating Angular Velocity After Moving Inward

• Thread starter Steveadams79
  • Start date
In summary, a child with a mass of 40kg moves from a distance of 2m to 1.5m from the center of a merry go round spinning at 30rpm's. The problem involves finding the change in the rotational speed of the merry go round. The key is to understand that there is no net external torque acting on the system.
Steveadams79

Homework Statement

A child with a mass of 40kg is sitting 2m from the center of a merry go round. He moves inward to a point 1.5m from the center. If the merry go round was originally spinning at 30rpm's, how fast is it spinning after the child moves inward?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

How would you think to approach the problem?

I really do not have a clue. i can't seem to find which formula I need to use.

What is the initial state?
What is the final state?
The preservation of what quantities holds here?

Hint: No net external torque acts on the system.

1. What is the best way to approach a problem?

The best way to approach a problem is to first analyze the problem and break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Then, brainstorm potential solutions and evaluate their effectiveness before implementing them.

2. How do I know if I need help with a problem?

If you have been working on a problem for an extended period of time without making progress, or if the problem is complex and requires specialized knowledge, it may be beneficial to seek help from others.

3. Who can I turn to for help with a problem?

There are many resources available for help with a problem, including colleagues, mentors, experts in the field, and online communities. It is important to reach out to someone who is knowledgeable and experienced in the specific area of the problem.

4. How do I effectively communicate my problem to others when seeking help?

When seeking help with a problem, it is important to clearly and concisely communicate the issue at hand, including any relevant information or background. This will help others understand the problem and provide more effective assistance.

5. What should I do if I am unable to find a solution to a problem?

If you have exhausted all possible solutions and are still unable to find a resolution to the problem, it may be necessary to seek help from a professional or seek out alternative methods or approaches to solving the problem.