Efficiently Solve Your Car Lane Change Time Problem - 65.0 km/h vs 45.0 km/h

• Thread starter motionman04
  • Start date
In summary, based on the given information, it will take the automobile traveling in the left lane at 65.0 km/h approximately 1.8 seconds to pull alongside the car traveling in the right lane at 45.0 km/h, assuming constant speeds and an initial distance of 100 m between the cars. This can be calculated using kinematic equations or relative motion.
motionman04
How long does it take an automobile traveling in the left lane at 65.0 km/h to pull alongside a car traveling in the same direction in the right lane at 45.0 km/h if the cars' front bumpers are initially 100 m apart?

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done thus far?

Use Kinematic equations.

Both have constant speed so

[tex] v_{1}t = x [/tex] for the car on the right lane

[tex] v_{2}t = x + 100 [/tex] for the car on the left lane

Well I did some conversions to obtain 18.05 m/s as the velocity of the first car, but still kinda unsure of where to go from there.

Don't bother with conversions. You know the velocities. X for both cars is the same (that's why the second equation has the extra 100). The times will be the same. You are in a position with two equations and two unknowns. There are a handful of ways to solve this. You could use substitution, plug the coefficients into a matrix and rref it, solve simultaneously... Put all of the things you don't know on the left side with the respective coefficients. Leave the suff you do know on the right (like the 100). And solve.

Good luck.

but if you do not change the velocities to m/s then you must change the 100m to .1 km.

You could use relative motion...

the velocity of the left one with respect to the right is the velocity of the left minus the velocity of the right one...so 20km/hr. Then you want the relative velocity to go 100m (or .1 km)...so .1 km / 20 km/h should yield the correct answer in hours...convert to seconds by multiplying by 3600.

What is the best approach to solving this problem?

The best approach to solving a problem varies depending on the specific problem and the resources available. Some common approaches include breaking the problem down into smaller parts, conducting research or experiments, and seeking help from others.

What should I do if I am stuck on a problem?

If you are stuck on a problem, it is important to step back and take a break. This can help clear your mind and allow you to come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. You can also try talking to someone else about the problem or seeking help from a mentor or colleague.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Improving problem-solving skills takes practice and persistence. One way to improve is by actively seeking out and solving new problems, whether they are related to your field of study or not. You can also try learning new techniques or approaches to problem-solving and incorporating them into your problem-solving process.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when trying to solve a problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a problem include jumping to conclusions without fully understanding the problem, being too rigid in your thinking, and not seeking help or input from others. It is also important to avoid getting too frustrated or giving up too quickly.

How can I apply problem-solving skills to real-life situations?

Problem-solving skills can be applied to a variety of real-life situations, such as personal challenges, work projects, or even global issues. Some ways to apply these skills include breaking down the problem, considering different perspectives, and being open to creative solutions. It is also important to stay calm and focused while working towards a solution.