Find Mass of Box K for 25 Degree Angle in Pulley Assembly | Pulley Question Help

• Thread starter bobmarly12345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary, the assembly shown in the picture, GH, HK, HNL are three cables. The mass of box L is 52kg, and the mass of box K is 215.5kg.
bobmarly12345

Homework Statement

An assembly shown in the picture, GH , HK, HNL are three cables. the mass of box L is 52Kg,
a) determine the mass of box K in order to make angle theta as 25 degrees

Homework Equations

FX=0
FY=0

The Attempt at a Solution

right i started with
Fhn x cos(25) = Fhg x cos(0) as cos(o) is 1 i then wrote it out as
Fhn x cos(25) = Fhg
box L = 52Kg, i know HN = NL does the tension force NL= 52?
i know that when i get HN by looking at the forces acting on L & using Newtons 1st law to solve for NL i can calculate Fhg from the equation i started with. confused on how to get HN=NL thinks its 52.

then at joint H, the vert comp of HN must equal the tension in HK, per Newton 1st law in the y direction, and then i look at the forces acting on K to solve for its mass. i understand the theory I'm just confused about the calculations that need to be made, can anyone run through it with me please to find the mass of box K?

Attachments

• P100010534444.jpg
    P100010534444.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 383
Physics news on Phys.org
The 52kg block weighs 52x9.81N...this is the tension force in the string HN.
If you look at point H can you see that the horizontal component of the tension = tension in string HG and the vertical component of the tension must be the weight of block K

oh yes i forgot about the effect of gravity on the 52Kg block.
ok i understand to a point about the mass of block k , so would the mass of block k be HN x (cos25+sin25) ? then divide by gravitational constant to get the Kg value ?

You only need to consider the vertical component of the tension (510Sin25) to find the weight of block K

oh yeah i see now why its only the vertical component, so just 510xsin25=215.5 that's all?

That is the WEIGHT...I think you have to find the mass (easy?)

yeah just divide by 9.81 i believe ?

that's it !

brilliant thanks for your help! :)

1. How does a pulley work?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or cable that runs through the groove. When force is applied to one end of the rope, the wheel rotates and lifts or moves the object attached to the other end of the rope.

2. What is the purpose of using a pulley?

The main purpose of using a pulley is to make it easier to lift or move heavy objects. By using a pulley, the force required to lift an object is reduced because the weight of the object is distributed between the pulley and the rope.

3. Are there different types of pulleys?

Yes, there are three main types of pulleys: fixed, movable, and compound. Fixed pulleys are attached to a stationary object and only change the direction of the force. Movable pulleys are attached to the object being lifted and move with it. Compound pulleys combine fixed and movable pulleys to increase mechanical advantage.

4. How do you calculate mechanical advantage in a pulley system?

Mechanical advantage is calculated by dividing the output force (the weight of the object being lifted) by the input force (the force applied to the rope). The more pulleys that are used in a system, the greater the mechanical advantage.

5. Can you use multiple pulleys to lift an object heavier than the input force?

Yes, by using multiple pulleys in a system, the weight of the object can be distributed between the pulleys and the rope, reducing the amount of force needed to lift the object. This makes it possible to lift objects heavier than the input force applied to the rope.