Find Distance 'd' on a Curved Ramp with No Friction | Ramp Problem Solved

• Thread starter Format
  • Start date
In summary, a 1.9-kg block slides down a curved frictionless ramp from a height of 1.5-m to 0.25-m above the ground. It leaves the ramp with a purely horizontal velocity and lands a distance 'd' away. To find 'd', first find the block's speed as it leaves the ramp using conservation of energy, then use the kinematic equations for projectile motion with gravity acting in the y-direction and constant speed motion in the x-direction.
Format
I have a really difficult question i need help on.

A 1.9-kg block slides down a frictionless ramp. Ths top of the ramp is 1.5-m above the ground; the bottom of the ramp is 0.25-m above the ground. The block leaves the ramp moving horizontally, and lands a horizontal distance 'd' away. Find the distance 'd'.

Oh and the ramp is curved so the block slides horizontally when it leaves the ramp.

Help please!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First find the speed of the block as it leaves the slide. Use conservation of energy.

Then apply the usual kinematic equations for projectile motion: the y-direction has an acceleration due to gravity; the x-direction is constant speed motion. Note that the initial velocity as it leaves the slide is purely horizontal.

To find the distance 'd' on a curved ramp with no friction, we can use the conservation of energy principle. This principle states that the total energy of a system remains constant, so we can equate the initial potential energy of the block at the top of the ramp to its final kinetic energy at the bottom of the ramp.

First, we need to find the initial potential energy of the block at the top of the ramp. We can use the formula PE=mgh, where m is the mass of the block (1.9 kg), g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height of the ramp (1.5 m). This gives us a potential energy of 28.35 J.

Next, we can find the final kinetic energy of the block at the bottom of the ramp. Since the block leaves the ramp horizontally, its initial vertical velocity is zero. Therefore, we can use the formula KE=1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the block (1.9 kg) and v is the horizontal velocity of the block. We know that the block lands a horizontal distance 'd' away, so we can use the formula d=v*t, where t is the time it takes for the block to reach the ground. Since the block is only affected by gravity, we can use the formula y=1/2gt^2 to find the time it takes for the block to reach the ground. Setting the initial height to 1.5 m and final height to 0.25 m, we get t=0.49 seconds. Substituting this into the formula d=v*t, we get d=v*0.49. Therefore, the final kinetic energy of the block is KE=1/2*1.9*v^2=0.49v^2.

Now, equating the initial potential energy to the final kinetic energy, we get 28.35=0.49v^2. Solving for v, we get v=9.95 m/s. Finally, we can use the formula d=v*t to find the distance 'd' traveled by the block. Substituting the value of v and t, we get d=9.95*0.49=4.87 m.

Therefore, the distance 'd' on the curved ramp with no friction is 4.87 meters. I hope this helps!

What is the purpose of asking for help with a question?

The purpose of asking for help with a question is to seek clarification or guidance in understanding a concept or solving a problem. It can also provide a different perspective or approach to finding a solution.

How can I effectively ask for help with a question?

To effectively ask for help with a question, it is important to provide specific details and context about the question, be respectful and polite, and be open to receiving constructive feedback and suggestions.

Is it okay to ask for help with a question that I don't fully understand?

Yes, it is completely okay to ask for help with a question that you don't fully understand. In fact, seeking help is a sign of humility and a willingness to learn and improve.

What are some alternative ways to seek help with a question?

Some alternative ways to seek help with a question include reaching out to a mentor or teacher, joining study groups or online forums, and utilizing educational resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.

How can I ensure that I am not just getting the answer, but also understanding the concept?

To ensure that you are not just getting the answer, but also understanding the concept, it is important to actively listen and engage with the person helping you, ask follow-up questions to clarify any confusion, and attempt to solve the problem on your own before seeking help. Additionally, explaining the concept back to the person helping you can also indicate your understanding.