Understanding Static Charge on Circuit Boards: Magnitude & Human Touch

In summary, the magnitude of the static charge induced on a circuit board when a human touches it is dependent on the parasitic capacitance and voltage, which can range from a few pF and a few kV, respectively. There is a formula to calculate the charge based on these factors.
Asad Raza
What is the magnitude of the static charge induced on a circuit board when a human touches it? I mean approximately.

Physics news on Phys.org
Asad Raza said:
What is the magnitude of the static charge induced on a circuit board when a human touches it? I mean approximately.

hi there
you have given your topic an I level indicating you have undergrad university study level
what have you done so far researching this topic ?

there is masses of info on the netDave

Asad Raza said:
Assume a few pF of parasitic capacitance and a few kV of voltage induced by the static discharge from the human to the PCB. Do you know the equation for the charge in terms of the capacitance and the voltage? :smile:

Q: What is static electricity?

Static electricity is a build-up of electric charge on the surface of an object. This charge can be positive or negative and is caused by the transfer of electrons between objects.

Q: How is static electricity different from current electricity?

Static electricity is a stationary build-up of electric charge, whereas current electricity is a flow of electric charge. Static electricity usually occurs in insulators, while current electricity flows in conductors.

Q: What causes static electricity?

Static electricity is caused by the transfer of electrons between objects. This can occur through friction, induction, or contact. For example, when you rub a balloon on your hair, electrons are transferred from your hair to the balloon, creating a build-up of static electricity.

Q: How is static electricity used in everyday life?

Static electricity is used in various ways in our daily lives. Some examples include xerography (photocopying), air filtration, electrostatic painting, and electrostatic discharge (ESD) protection in electronic devices.

Q: How can I prevent getting shocked by static electricity?

To prevent getting shocked by static electricity, you can take measures such as wearing natural fibers instead of synthetic ones, using a humidifier to increase moisture in the air, and avoiding wearing rubber-soled shoes on carpets. You can also discharge excess static electricity by touching a grounded object before touching something or someone else.