Simplifying the Discrete Time Signal Summation

• Thread starter Chandasouk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary: For Part B, the index for the final answer is m = 0 though. You have it at m=1 for (-1)m.For Part B, the index for the final answer is m = 0 though. You have it at m=1 for (-1)m.
Chandasouk
It's been a while since I took Calc 2 and I am in a Linear Systems and Signals class right now. I'm looking at a solution on how to obtain a zero state response of a discrete time signal, but performing the summation confuses me. Can someone explain the steps they did?

This is part A

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/684/partal.jpg/

This is part B

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/part2sy.jpg/

In Part A, where did the +1 come from?
Also, how would you simplify the first fraction appearing after the equal sign of Ystep?

In Part B, where did the -1 's come from? Originally, h[m] was just (6/5)[itex]\sum[/itex](-1/2)m + (24/5)Ʃ(1/3)m

I have a Final next week on this stuff so, any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Chandasouk said:
It's been a while since I took Calc 2 and I am in a Linear Systems and Signals class right now. I'm looking at a solution on how to obtain a zero state response of a discrete time signal, but performing the summation confuses me. Can someone explain the steps they did?

This is part A

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/684/partal.jpg/

This is part B

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/part2sy.jpg/

In Part A, where did the +1 come from? Also, how would you simplify the first fraction appearing after the equal sign of Ystep?

In Part B, where did the -1 's come from?

Part A: Where did the 1 come from?
[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{m=0}^{k}(-2)^m=(-2)^0+\sum_{m=1}^{k}(-2)^m[/itex]

and of course, (-2)0=1​

As for simplifying the fraction, they have done it quite well.
[itex]\displaystyle \frac{1-(-2)^{k+1}}{1-(-2)}=\frac{1-(-2)(-2)^{k}}{3}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =\frac{1}{3}+\frac{2}{3}(-2)^{k}[/itex]​

Chandasouk said:

In Part B, where did the -1 's come from? Originally, h[m] was just (6/5)[itex]\sum[/itex](-1/2)m + (24/5)Ʃ(1/3)m

I assume the sum in the original form of h[m] started with m=1. The -1s come from the fact that in Part B, the sums start with m=0.

BTW: You appear to still be very rusty regarding working with summations, considering that your final is next week.

Good Luck !

For Part A, the index for the final answer is m = 0 though. You have it at m=1 for (-2)m

Chandasouk said:
For Part A, the index for the final answer is m = 0 though. You have it at m=1 for (-2)m
Yes. I left it for you to identify what is what & for you to do a little algebra.

[itex]\displaystyle \underbrace{\sum_{m=0}^{k}(-2)^m}_{\text{from 2nd line}}=(-2)^0+\underbrace{\sum_{m=1}^{k}(-2)^m)}_{\text{from 1st line}}[/itex]

What is a summation?

A summation is a mathematical notation that represents the addition of a series of numbers.

What is the purpose of a summation?

The purpose of a summation is to simplify and compactly express a large sum of numbers.

How do I solve a summation?

To solve a summation, you need to first identify the pattern of the numbers being added and then use a formula or method to calculate the sum.

What are some common summation formulas?

Some common summation formulas include the arithmetic series formula, geometric series formula, and telescoping series formula.

Are there any tips for simplifying a summation?

Yes, some tips for simplifying a summation include factoring, using known summation identities, and breaking down the series into smaller parts.