Vector Element Problem: Solving for Components of C in A - B + 3C = 0

In summary, vector A has horizontal and vertical components of -8.40 cm and 16.0 cm, respectively, while vector B has horizontal and vertical components of 12.6 cm and -6.00 cm, respectively. By using the vector equation \vec{A} -\vec{B} + 3\vec{C} = 0, we can find the components of C by setting up two scalar equations: A_{x} - B_{x} + 3C_{x} = 0 and A_{y} - B_{y} + 3C_{y} = 0. This simplifies the problem and makes it easier to solve.
ramin86
Vector A has x and y components of -8.40 cm and 16.0 cm, respectively; vector B has x and y components of 12.6 cm and -6.00 cm, respectively. If A - B + 3C = 0, what are the components of C?

Not sure how to do this problem, I was thinking of adding the horizontal and vertical elements for A and B, but that wouldn't help in finding the components of C.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a vector equation that will give two scalar equations.

[tex] \vec{A} -\vec{B} + 3\vec{C} = 0 [/tex]

[tex] A_{x} - B_{x} + 3C_{x} = 0 [/tex]
[tex] A_{y} - B_{y} + 3C_{y} = 0 [/tex]

thanks a lot, it was a whole lot simpler than I thought, I always seem to make physics problems more complicated than they should be lol

ramin86 said:
thanks a lot, it was a whole lot simpler than I thought, I always seem to make physics problems more complicated than they should be lol

No problem, :smile:

1. What is a vector element?

A vector element is a single value or component of a vector, which is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do I solve a vector element problem?

To solve a vector element problem, you will need to use mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication to manipulate the given vectors and obtain the desired result.

3. What are some common types of vector element problems?

Common types of vector element problems include finding the magnitude and direction of a vector, adding or subtracting vectors, and finding the dot product or cross product of two vectors.

4. What are some useful tips for solving vector element problems?

Some useful tips for solving vector element problems include drawing a visual representation of the vectors, breaking down vectors into their components, and using trigonometric functions to find the magnitude and direction of a vector.

5. How can I check my answer for a vector element problem?

You can check your answer for a vector element problem by using the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the magnitude of the resulting vector and comparing it to the given value. You can also use geometric properties of vectors, such as the angle between two vectors, to verify your solution.