Solve for Crate Mass: Torque and Static Friction Problem | 40 kg Answer

• Thread starter Aoiumi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a crate being pushed with a horizontal force and the minimum force required to tip the crate. The center of mass and static frictional force are also mentioned. The homework statement and equations are provided, and the attempted solution involves finding the mass of the crate. The conversation also mentions the role of angles and other forces, such as weight force, in keeping the crate on the ground. Finally, the conversation suggests drawing a free body diagram and writing equations of equilibrium to solve the problem.
Aoiumi
I have a problem that I can't figure out. I hope someone can help.

Homework Statement

A crate that is 1.0 m tall and 0.5 m in depth is pushed at its top with a horizontal force. The minimum force required to tip the crate is 100 N--what is the mass of the crate? The center of mass is in the center of the crate. Static frictional force prevents slipping. g = 10 m/s^2.

Homework Equations

τ=FRsinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is 40 kg's but I can't figure this out. Force is applied horizontally to the upper right hand corner of the box, and I assume the pivot point is in the lower left hand corner so torque = 100N(1.0m), or 10 N m. I'm not quite sure where to go from here. My guess was that you have to set up an equation and set this value equal to something else, but I'm not sure what. Should angles come into play at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
What other force acting on the crate will tend to keep it on the ground? Hint: If you tried to lift the crate, you would have to overcome this force.

There is a weight force too, the unknown mass of the object times gravity.

Correct. Draw a free body diagram of the box and write equations of equilibrium.

It seems like you are on the right track. To solve this problem, you will need to use the equation for torque, τ=FRsinθ, where F is the applied force, R is the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied, and θ is the angle between the force and the lever arm (in this case, the height of the crate). Since the crate is not tipping, the torque from the applied force must be equal to the torque from the static frictional force. So, you can set up an equation like this: τ from applied force = τ from static frictional force. Then, substitute in the values you know (100 N for the applied force, 1.0 m for the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied, and the unknown mass for the static frictional force). From there, you can solve for the mass of the crate. Remember to pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent throughout your calculations. Good luck!

1. What is the formula for calculating torque in this problem?

The formula for torque is T = r x F, where r is the distance from the pivot point to the applied force and F is the force applied. In this problem, the pivot point is the edge of the crate and the force is the weight of the crate.

2. How do you determine the value of static friction in this problem?

The value of static friction can be determined using the formula Fs = μs * N, where Fs is the force of static friction, μs is the coefficient of static friction, and N is the normal force acting on the crate.

3. How do you solve for the mass of the crate in this problem?

To solve for the mass of the crate, we can use the equation T = Fs * r. We know the values for T (from the given torque) and r (the distance from the pivot point), so we can rearrange the equation to solve for Fs. Then, we can use the formula Fs = μs * N and solve for N. Finally, we can use the formula N = mg (where m is the mass of the crate and g is the acceleration due to gravity) to solve for the mass of the crate.

4. What is the significance of solving for the mass of the crate in this problem?

Solving for the mass of the crate allows us to determine the force of static friction and the normal force acting on the crate. These values are important in understanding the stability and motion of the crate. They also help us determine if the crate is at risk of sliding or toppling over.

5. Can this problem be solved without knowing the coefficient of static friction?

Yes, this problem can still be solved without knowing the coefficient of static friction. In this case, we would use the maximum value for the coefficient of static friction (usually denoted as μs,max) to ensure that our calculations do not underestimate the force of static friction. This is a conservative approach and ensures that the crate will not slide or topple over in the given scenario.