Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with tracking down antique

1. Jan 1, 2006 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

(Apparently I have acquired a bit of a reputation for asking odd questions...)

I have come into possession of an English tea set that is in the form of a brightly coloured granny or nanny. It looks like this:
    http://cache.tias.com/stores/danicasantiques/pictures/nt14a.jpg

Can anyone tell me what it is called?

It is missing its musicbox and I'd like to see if I can find a replacement. No luck on ebay at least until I can call it by name.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2006 #2

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Does it have a maker's mark on the bottom?

4. Jan 1, 2006 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It has painter's marks. (In fact, I have *three* pieces that form a set - each piece is marked differently).

These are not manufacturer's marks. There do not appear to be any, though it does say Made in England.

5. Jan 1, 2006 #4
    I love tea pots but whenever they're made to resemble something they become grotesque. I only like them when they're fairly plain, and don't look like anything but a tea pot.

6. Jan 1, 2006 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

MY wife is an antique collector, as was her mother. Her mother died 30 years ago when my wife was but a teen. All her mother's possessions were scattered to the four winds - as were her children. After thirty years AWOL, this tea set - the one most coveted by my wife - has been found in a box belonging to a virtual stranger of the family, and brought home.

OK, maybe TMI there. But not really so much about the objective aesthetic value here...

7. Jan 1, 2006 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

8. Jan 1, 2006 #7
    The Sarah Gump{granny} tea pot sells for 130.00 dollars in Michigan. They were made in and around Burslem England, up untill the 1940's.

9. Jan 1, 2006 #8

Mk

I don't know if Forest Gump would approve of the selling of that family heirloom.

10. Jan 1, 2006 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Identical - except this one is coloured like in my original OP.
    See attached.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  11. Jan 1, 2006 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

12. Jan 1, 2006 #11
    Ive seen her painted in a lot of different ways...but that green, makes poor Granny look ill! I've bought and sold several of them over the years, figural tea pots are always popular.

13. Jan 1, 2006 #12
    It looks like the sort of heirloom that has a curse on it.

14. Jan 1, 2006 #13
    "Don't drink tea from Granny: it'll make you see the day of your death."

15. Jan 1, 2006 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Is the fact that there is no maker's mark an indication that this is not from a prestigious manufacturer?

Also, is the fact that the three marks are all different an indication that these 3 pieces were not originally part of the same set?

16. Jan 1, 2006 #15
    Prestigious..perhaps not, but still nicely made. Large potteries like Woods and Sadler, had a bunch of ladies who painted the glazes. I'd give good odds that they were not sold as sets, but offered as matching accessories.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?