Help with transistor datasheet

• Thread starter Genji Shimada
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transistor
In summary, it is said that Vcesat at Ic/Ib=10 is about 0,3volts. However in the Icollector vs Vcesat graph for the same transistor that I will be posting immediately after I post this thread cause I can't add one more image here, it is shown that Vce hardly even exceeds 0,2 volts at 500mAmps. And I am confused, what should I look at to find what value of Vcesat to expect at given collector current?
Genji Shimada
On this datasheet of PN2222A bipolar transistor
Screenshot_2016-08-14-21-06-06.png

it is said that Vcesat at Ic/Ib=10 is about 0,3volts. However in the Icollector vs Vcesat graph for the same transistor that I will be posting immediately after I post this thread cause I can't add one more image here, it is shown that Vce hardly even exceeds 0,2 volts at 500mAmps. And I am confused, what should I look at to find what value of Vcesat to expect at given collector current?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-08-14-21-06-21.png
    Screenshot_2016-08-14-21-06-21.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 391
Engineering news on Phys.org
And here's the graph
Screenshot_2016-08-14-21-06-21.png

Jony130 said:
figure 11 show a typical values not the maximum one.
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~pharden/hobby/HG_DS1.pdf
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-gain-in-saturation-mode.865392/#post-5432159
Hmm, so if we look at this datasheet, the developers have tested the transistor under 150mA Ic and under 500mA Ic and have gotten 0,3volts Vcesat for 150mA and 1volt for 500mA. And how do you engineers do in such a case? Do you choose a value let's say close to Ic= 150mA and Ib=15mA and expect a Vcesat of about 0,3volts? I want to learn what to do in such cases, how to know roughly what Vcesat I will get at a given current.
Screenshot_2016-08-14-22-04-02.png

No single answer exist, It depends on an given application. Normally I assume that the Vce(sat) is around 0.2V for Ic<100mA and Ib = Ic/10 without even looking into data sheet. But for example if you build a single circuit just for hobby peruse you can use a typical value from figure 11. But if you want to design a circuit for a " spacecraft " then you must use a maximum value in your capitulations. For exampel you can assume Vce(sat) = 0.3V for Ic<150mA and Vce(sat) around 1V for Ic > 200mA.

Likes Genji Shimada
Jony130 said:
No single answer exist, It depends on an given application. Normally I assume that the Vce(sat) is around 0.2V for Ic<100mA and Ib = Ic/10 without even looking into data sheet. But for example if you build a single circuit just for hobby peruse you can use a typical value from figure 11. But if you want to design a circuit for a " spacecraft " then you must use a maximum value in your capitulations. For exampel you can assume Vce(sat) = 0.3V for Ic<150mA and Vce(sat) around 1V for Ic > 200mA.
:D thanks, that helped a lot!

Jony130 said:
your capitulations

It's just one transistor. Not a whole robot army! :eek:?

BoB

Likes Jony130 and Genji Shimada

What information is included in a transistor datasheet?

A transistor datasheet typically includes information such as the type of transistor, its electrical characteristics, pinout diagram, maximum ratings, and recommended operating conditions.

How do I read a transistor datasheet?

Reading a transistor datasheet can be overwhelming, but the key information to focus on are the electrical characteristics, pinout diagram, and maximum ratings. These will help you determine if the transistor is suitable for your circuit.

What is the difference between NPN and PNP transistors?

NPN and PNP are two different types of bipolar junction transistors. The main difference is the direction of current flow. In an NPN transistor, current flows from the collector to the emitter, while in a PNP transistor, current flows from the emitter to the collector.

What are the maximum ratings on a transistor datasheet?

The maximum ratings on a transistor datasheet refer to the maximum limits that the transistor can handle without getting damaged. These include maximum voltage, current, power dissipation, and temperature ratings.

Where can I find a transistor datasheet for a specific transistor?

You can find transistor datasheets on the manufacturer's website, distributor websites, or by searching for the specific transistor part number on a search engine. If you are unable to find a datasheet for your transistor, you can contact the manufacturer for assistance.