Simplifying Trig Functions: Understanding (a)(sin/cos/tan/cot/sec/csc) Graphs

In summary, someone can explain what the parts of the graph represent, how to find asymptotes and range. It may be best to sit down and figure this out with a calculator or spreadsheet, rather than using technology.
Kimorto
can sumone think of an easier way to graph trig functions in the forms
(a)(sin(bx-c)
(a)(cos(bx-c)
(a)(tan(bx-c)
(a)(cot(bx-c)
(a)(sec(bx-c)
(a)(csc(bx-c)

I was wondering if sumone could explain what each part represents, like what does (a) does if i increase it, decrease it, make it negative, what b and c represent (i mean represent on the graph, does it stretch it shrink it, flip it make curves. I've missed a few days of school so i couldn't get the notes. Id also like to know how big the periods should be, how do i find asymtotes, range, domain. Anything to help me understand it would help greatly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Someone help me

Someone help me grasp a better concept of graphing trig functions

The a will increase the amplitude of the waves (actually, I'm not sure about tan, cosec, sec and cot). +/- c shifts the wave along the x-axis; + c shifts the function to the left and - c will shift the function to the right. b stretches the function, IIRC. The periods are how long it takes to go through one complete cycle (and then back to its starting position) of the function. For example, sin and cos have period 2π. Asymptotes are found by finding the points at which x and y tend to infinity. Eg. for tan, there's a vertical asymptote at π/2, as tan π/2 = 1/0. HTH.

In this day and age of spreadsheets and graphing calculators I simply do not understand why you bother asking such a question. My advise is to sit down with your calculator manual or a spreadsheet and start figuring out how to plot these functions. A picture is worth a 1000 words. It is trivial to set up a spreadsheet to graph those functions. In the blink of an eye you can change a parameter and see the effects. If you are incapable of using such hi tech tools then create a table of values and plot the points by hand. It will take a bit of time, but it may be time better spent then surfing the web looking for a free, thought free, answer.

cant use the technology

we have to be able to all this stuff with nothing but paper, pencil and basic mathmatical calculators I am in high school but I am takin gifted precal and that's why. Thanx for yalls help i easily understand cos and sin now. I just need help makin the other part into lamens terms.

What is a trigonometric function?

A trigonometric function is a mathematical function that relates the angles of a triangle to the lengths of its sides. The most common trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent.

How do I use trigonometric functions to solve problems?

Trigonometric functions can be used to solve problems involving angles and distances. By using these functions, you can find missing angles or side lengths in a triangle, as well as solve real-world problems involving angles and distances.

What is the unit circle and how does it relate to trigonometric functions?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin of a graph. It is used in trigonometry to relate the values of trigonometric functions to specific angles in a right triangle.

What are the basic trigonometric identities?

The basic trigonometric identities are mathematical equations that relate the values of trigonometric functions to each other. These identities include the Pythagorean identities, cofunction identities, and double angle identities.

How can I remember the values of trigonometric functions?

One way to remember the values of trigonometric functions is by using the acronym "SOHCAHTOA" which stands for sine = opposite/hypotenuse, cosine = adjacent/hypotenuse, and tangent = opposite/adjacent. You can also use a unit circle or practice regularly to improve your memorization of these values.