How Can the Inequality -x ≤ sin(x) ≤ x Help Prove a Convergent Integral?

In summary, to prove that the given integral converges to 1, the fact that the limit of the given function exists can be used. By integrating both sides of the inequality -x ≤ sin(x) ≤ x between 0 and x, it can be shown that the inequality holds. However, there may be some difficulty in using this fact for the second part of the problem.
henry22

Homework Statement

I am attempting to show that [itex]-x \leq sin(x) \leq x[/itex] for x>0 and thus [itex]\int^1_0 nxsin(\frac{1}{nx})dx[/itex] converges to 1.

Homework Equations

I know that I need to use the fact that I have shown that the limit as T tends to infinity of [itex]\int^T_1 \frac{cos(x)}{\sqrt{x}}dx[/itex] exists.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
henry22 said:

Homework Statement

I am attempting to show that [itex]-x \leq sin(x) \leq x[/itex] for x>0 and ...

The -x part is trivial and for the rest integrate both sides of cos(t) ≤ 1 between 0 and x, x > 0.

LCKurtz said:
The -x part is trivial and for the rest integrate both sides of cos(t) ≤ 1 between 0 and x, x > 0.

OK I've done this and I get the inequality I need. But can I just check, I don't understand how I have used the equation I need to in the OP?

For the second part if I know that -x<= sinx <= x then -1<=nx(sin(1/nx)) <= 1 but then I'm a bit stuck

What is a trig inequality?

A trig inequality is a mathematical expression that involves trigonometric functions and an inequality symbol, such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. It represents a relationship between two or more trigonometric expressions and indicates which one is larger or smaller.

What is the purpose of solving trig inequalities?

The purpose of solving trig inequalities is to determine the values of the trigonometric expressions that satisfy the given inequality. This helps in finding the possible solutions to a problem and understanding the behavior of trigonometric functions.

What are the basic steps for solving a trig inequality?

The basic steps for solving a trig inequality are:

1. Isolate the trigonometric function on one side of the inequality.
  2. Use algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities to simplify the expression.
  3. Use the unit circle or trigonometric graphs to determine the values of the trigonometric expression for which the inequality is true.
  4. Write the solution in interval notation or set notation.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving trig inequalities?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving trig inequalities are:

• Forgetting to consider the restrictions on the domain of the trigonometric functions.
  • Not simplifying the expressions properly using algebra and trigonometric identities.
  • Forgetting to check if the given values make the inequality true or false.
  • Confusing the direction of the inequality symbol when multiplying or dividing by a negative number.

How can I practice and improve my skills in solving trig inequalities?

You can practice and improve your skills in solving trig inequalities by:

• Working on a variety of problems from textbooks, online resources, and practice worksheets.
  • Using online tools and graphing calculators to visualize and solve trig inequalities.
  • Reviewing and understanding the properties and behaviors of trigonometric functions.
  • Seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group to discuss and solve problems together.