1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with trig proof

1. Aug 31, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    prove that Acosx+Bsinx=sqrt(A^2+B^2)sin(x+alpha) where tan(alpha)=A/B

3. The attempt at a solution
    none so far except that sin(x+alpha)=sinx cos(alpha)+cosx sin(alpha)

Any help is appreciated. This is due tomorrow (It was just assigned yesterday).
    I've taken a year off school so I'm kind of out of the swing of stuff like this.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I would start on the right side and see if you can show that it's equal to the left side. It might be useful to note that tan(alpha) = sin(alpha)/cos(alpha) = A/B = (A/sqrt(A^2 + B^2))/(B/sqrt(A^2 + B^2)).

I haven't worked this out, but that's where I would start.

4. Aug 31, 2010 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Denoting sqrt(A^2+B^2)=C, you have the equation

Acosx + Bsinx =(C*sin(alpha))cos x +(C*cos(alpha))sinx

This has to be an identity, valid for any x. If x=0, sinx=0, cosx=1,
    A=C*sin(alpha). If x=pi/2, sinx=1, cosx=0, and B=C*cos(alpha).

So you have two equations for C and alpha:

A=C*sin(alpha)
    B=C*cos(alpha)

Square both of equations and add the together. Use that cos2x+sin2x =1 what do you get for C?

Divide the first equation by the second one, what do you get for alpha?

ehild

5. Aug 31, 2010 #4

Mark44

But that's what the OP needs to show. He/she can't just assume that it is true for all x.

6. Aug 31, 2010 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Mark, you start with the right side, I would start with the left one, and show that it can be written in the form of C*sin(x+alpha) (that means it is identical to C*sin(x+alpha)) for a certain C and alpha. If it comes out that C^2=A^2+B^2 and tan(alpha)=A/B it means that the left side is identical to the right side of the original equation that had to be proved.

ehild

7. Aug 31, 2010 #6

Mark44

OK, I misunderstood what you were saying.

8. Aug 31, 2010 #7
    thank you for your suggestions but I'm still a bit confused. It has been a long time since I've done stuff like this so its a bit harder for me to understand than usual. I'd appreciate if someone spelled out a few steps at least to get me started (if you don't mind) and hopefully I can figure out the rest. Thanks again.

9. Sep 1, 2010 #8

Mark44

Basically what you should do is to start from the left side, as ehild suggests, and work with Acosx + Bsinx to make it look like C(A/C *cosx + B/C*sin x). Then you want to write A/C as sin(alpha) and B/C as cos(alpha) so that you end up with Csin(x + alpha).

10. Sep 1, 2010 #9
    I GOT IT!!! Thank you so much....you were extraordinarily helpful :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook