1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with trigonometric proof

1. Jan 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

basically i have this proof to do where (cot5x * [trigonometric function]5x)/csc6x = 5/6 and i have to prove it equals 5/6

2. Relevant equations

but what i can't remember about the problem is the second function. i've tried plugging in all of them and using a made up value of x = 10 just to see if i could figure out what the function i can't remember it is but i haven't had any luck.

cos(0) = 1
    sin(x)/x = 1

3. The attempt at a solution

the closest i've come to what may be the missing function is when i plug in sin5x but i get a number that is approximately .85 and not .833.

well if i could figure out the function i know to set it up like this ((cos5x/tan5x) * [unknown function]5x)/(1/sin6x)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2012 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

are you evaulating a limit as x tends to zero?

in general, for arbitrary [itex] x \neq 2 n\pi[/itex]
    [tex] \frac{sin(x)}{x}\neq 1[/tex]

And in fact when [itex] x =n\pi[/itex] the function is undefined, but the limit exists, for example
    [tex] \lim_{x \to 0}\frac{sin(x)}{x}= 1[/tex]

4. Jan 18, 2012 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello matthewd49. Welcome to PF !

How sure are you that the expression was of the form [itex]\displaystyle\frac{\cot(5x)\text{trig}(5x)}{\csc(6x)}\,,[/itex] where trig(θ) is one of the trig functions?

This expression is equivalent to [itex]\displaystyle\frac{\cos(5x)\text{trig}(5x)\sin(6x)}{\sin(5x)}\,,[/itex] also [itex]\displaystyle\frac{\text{trig}(5x)\sin(6x)}{\tan(5x)}\,.[/itex]

You also have [itex]\frac{\displaystyle\frac{\cos(5x)}{ \tan(5x)}\text{trig}(5x)}{\displaystyle\frac{1}{ \sin(6x)}}\,,[/itex] which is not equivalent to the above expression.

Your last expression is equivalent to [itex]\displaystyle\frac{\cos^2(5x)\text{trig}(5x)\sin(6x)}{\sin(5x)}\,.[/itex]

BTW: [itex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\,\to\,0}\frac{\sin(6x)}{\sin(5x)}=\frac{6}{5}\,.[/itex] This leads me to believe that your mystery function is [itex]\sec(5x)\,.[/itex]

5. Jan 18, 2012 #4
    hi guys thanks for all your help. i found out the missing function was actually sec5x and then found out afterwards that they had presented the problem wrong and wanted me to prove that said function was = to 6/5, not 5/6. that made it a much easier problem which i quickly finished. thanks for all of your help though, you guys are awesome!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook