Help with thrust and HP needed to hover 300 pounds at 30' off the ground

In summary: I'm worried. @sesefdfsd this is a project that is dangerous and expensive to do correctly. To do it poorly is just dangerous. In between is extremely dangerous. For liability reasons we can't help...In summary, to remain in a fixed position, there must be a force equal and opposite to your weight, that supports you. The power needed to generate that force will vary depending on how you are supported in that fixed position. Lift/hover with what? A quadcopter like thing? That's really dangerous.
sesefdfsd
If i wnat to lift/hover my self up 30ft off the groud (i am 110 pounds) how much HP would i need and how much would i need to lift/hover 300 pounds. Please answer TYSM

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry if this is in the wrong section this is my first time

Lift/hover with what? A quadcopter like thing? That's really dangerous.

Likes bob012345
Welcome to PF.

To remain in a fixed position, there must be a force equal and opposite to your weight, that supports you. The power needed to generate that force will vary depending on how you are supported in that fixed position. Power is the rate of energy flow. Force is not power, unless something moves.

A floor or a ladder is solid, and so nothing moves, it keeps you up without requiring a supply of energy.
A helicopter or aircraft moves air to generate the force that holds you in position. That requires a continuous flow of energy.

Likes russ_watters and jbriggs444
russ_watters said:
Lift/hover with what? A quadcopter like thing? That's really dangerous.
Yeah basically

sesefdfsd said:
Yeah basically
Much safer to get a ride on one of these personal drone aircraft...

1653248899809.png

https://www.jetsonaero.com/

Likes Lnewqban
anorlunda said:
Here is a place that offers a $1 million dollar prize for anyone who can make that work safely.

https://goflyprize.com/
Damn 1mil USD is a lot though if even i where to make this it would cost me 5 grand (which i don't have)

I appreciate the help but that definatly can't lift 300 pounds let alone 20lb

sesefdfsd said:
If i want to lift/hover myself up 30 ft off the ground (i am 110 pounds) how much HP would i need and how much would i need to lift/hover 300 pounds. Please answer TYSM
Will you be electric or jet fuel powered? Frenchman Franky Zapata's Flyboard lifts ~200 lbs with 5 model jet engines. A rough back or the envelope calculation based on a 45 lb thrust engines each consuming 0.55 L/min with an energy density of 44.6 MJ/kg gives about 2500HP but probably 80% of that power is waste heat.

The Jetson machine above quotes a max power of only 88kW which is ~100HP.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
Electric powererd, i am tryna

bob012345 said:
Will you be electric or jet fuel powered? Frenchman Franky Zapata's Flyboard lifts ~200 lbs with 5 model jet engines. A rough back or the envelope calculation based on a 45 lb thrust engines each consuming 0.55 L/min with an energy density of 44.6 MJ/kg gives about 2500HP but probably 80% of that power is waste heat.

The Jetson machine above quotes a max power of only 88kW which is ~100HP.
i am build a drone i can stand on

sesefdfsd said:
I am tryn build a drone that i can stand on
sesefdfsd said:
i am tr
Please take the time to type out whole words; it will help your cause here a lot. Is "tr" = "tryn" = "trying"?

Beyond that, what is your background in feedback and control theory? If you want to design a drone to lift you in flight, you will need a strong background in control theory (plus all the other stuff like aerodynamic propulsion)...

Likes Lnewqban
berkeman said:
Please take the time to type out whole words; it will help your cause here a lot. Is "tr" = "tryn" = "trying"?

Beyond that, what is your background in feedback and control theory? If you want to design a drone to lift you in flight, you will need a strong background in control theory (plus all the other stuff like aerodynamic propulsion)...
sorry

ye, so i made this frame out of alumins and not i need a motor that cna lift 50 pounds (i would then buy a few to support my weight of 110lb)

sesefdfsd said:
ye, so i made this frame out of aluminum and now i need a motor that can lift 50 pounds (i would then buy a few to support my weight of 110lb)

No worries.

BTW, do you see how the control issue gets a lot easier if the propulsion lift centers are above the center of mass of the vehicle? Kind of like controlling a helicopter is easier than the control system of a Segue or a hoverboard... :smile:

Likes Lnewqban
berkeman said:
No worries.
I'm worried. @sesefdfsd this is a project that is dangerous and expensive to do correctly. To do it poorly is just dangerous. In between is extremely dangerous. For liability reasons we can't help you with this project, and I strongly suggest you abandon it.

Likes berkeman, Lnewqban and bob012345

What is thrust and how does it relate to hovering?

Thrust is the force generated by a propulsion system, such as a helicopter's rotor blades, that enables it to move in a specific direction. In order to hover, the thrust generated must be equal to the weight of the object being lifted.

What factors affect the amount of thrust needed to hover 300 pounds at 30' off the ground?

The amount of thrust needed to hover 300 pounds at 30' off the ground is affected by several factors, including the weight of the object, the altitude and air density, and the efficiency of the propulsion system.

How can I calculate the amount of thrust needed to hover 300 pounds at 30' off the ground?

The formula for calculating thrust is: thrust = mass x acceleration. In this case, the mass is 300 pounds and the acceleration is the force of gravity, which is 9.8 meters per second squared. Therefore, the thrust needed to hover 300 pounds at 30' off the ground would be approximately 2,940 newtons.

What is the relationship between thrust and horsepower in hovering?

Horsepower is a unit of power that measures the rate at which work is done. In order to hover, a certain amount of thrust is needed, which is directly related to the amount of horsepower generated by the propulsion system. The more horsepower, the more thrust can be generated.

How can I increase the amount of thrust and horsepower for hovering?

There are several ways to increase the amount of thrust and horsepower for hovering, such as using a more powerful engine, optimizing the design of the propulsion system, and reducing the weight of the object being lifted. However, it is important to consider safety and efficiency when making these modifications.