Calculating Work and Power in Two Common Problems: Bubble Radius & Heart Pumping

• Thread starter mprm86
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is seeking help with two problems and is willing to provide more information and context to better assist with finding a solution. They have already taken some steps to solve the problems but have not been successful and need urgent help. They have some qualifications and experience but still need additional help due to lack of expertise or resources.
mprm86
1. There's an spheric bubble in the air with a radius of 3.2 cm. You blow air inside the bubble until its radius gets 5.8 cm. Which is the work done on the bubble? Consider the (constant) superficial tension of the bubble as 26 N/m.

2. The heart pumps 75 ml of blood in each beating with an average pressure of 110 mmHg. It beats 65 times per minute. Calculate the power of pumping of the heart.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about actually reading the "sticky" thread titled "read this before posting"? Is that too much to ask?

1. To calculate the work done on the bubble, we can use the formula W = ∫Fdx, where W represents work, F is the force applied, and dx is the displacement. In this case, the force is due to the change in surface tension of the bubble, which is given as 26 N/m. The displacement is the change in radius, which is 5.8 cm - 3.2 cm = 2.6 cm. Converting to meters, we get 0.026 m.

Plugging these values into the formula, we get W = 26 N/m * 0.026 m = 0.676 Nm. Therefore, the work done on the bubble is 0.676 Nm.

2. To calculate the power of pumping of the heart, we can use the formula P = W/t, where P represents power, W is the work done, and t is the time taken. In this case, the work done is the product of force and displacement, which is the product of pressure and volume of blood pumped. Converting the given values to SI units, we get 75 ml = 0.075 L and 110 mmHg = 14.665 kPa.

Plugging these values into the formula, we get P = (14.665 kPa * 0.075 L)/60 s = 0.0183 kW. Therefore, the power of pumping of the heart is 0.0183 kW or 18.3 W.

What are the two problems that you need help with?

The two problems that I need help with are [insert problems here].

Can you provide more context or information about these problems?

Yes, I can provide more context or information about these problems. In order for me to better assist you, please specify what type of information you need.

What steps have you already taken to try and solve these problems?

I have already taken the following steps to try and solve these problems: [insert steps here]. However, I have not been successful and that is why I am seeking help.

How urgent are these problems and when do you need a solution by?

These problems are [insert level of urgency here]. I would appreciate a solution as soon as possible, but I understand if it takes some time to find a solution.

What qualifications or experience do you have in regards to these problems?

I have [insert qualifications or experience here] in regards to these problems. However, I am still seeking help because I may not have all the necessary expertise or resources to solve them on my own.