1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Undergrad Admission

1. Mar 30, 2005 #1

rc

I am asking the same question that everyone asks.

I am a high school junior.

- took six APs in sophomore year - got 5 in AP Bio, 4 in Calc BC, 3 in rest.
    - took SAT average score 1450
    - my SAT II scores are average 750 in math, 680 in BIO 570 in writing
    - taking 3 more APs - Physics B and C, Statistics
    - taking mutlvariate calculus and linear algebra this year.
    - have taken tough courses, but GPA is 3.3 out of 4 important

- did a research project six months as a freshman in - brain tumor - effect of chemotherapy on immunocompetent patients
    - serving as a full-time (every afternoon 3-7 PM) as a lab assistant in plasma engineering lab, helping the doctorates
    - might have a chance to co-author in one experiment, by October
    - hoping to publish one or two more science research paper on my own

- leader in two clubs started the club
    - tutor kids in school at the teaching assistance center everyday
    - helping blind/disabled senior in the area for two years

- have one more year but do not know how best to make use of it

I want to major in physics/material science. Will I get into good Ivy schools - what schools should I apply for? I am losing sleep and am stressed.

Appreciate your advice and help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2005 #2
  4. Mar 30, 2005 #3
    you remind me of my friend phil wang - apply for princeton, duke, yale, harvard, stanford - may the force be with you my young patawan!

5. Apr 1, 2005 #4
    It sounds like you have terrific extracurriculars, but mediocre scores and grades. Based on what I've seen from others' application outcomes, and my own experiences, I would guess that you have a very realistic shot at getting into the ivies, particularly the lesser ivies, but you shouldn't pin all your hopes on them. If I were you, I'd apply to a range of nice, but not absolute top-tier schools.

Harvard, Yale, Princeton, or Stanford might take you, but I would be very surprised if that happened.

If you have the opportunity to improve on your SAT scores, you shouldn't pass it up. Most schools will only consider your best scores, after all.

When you apply, make sure you emphasize your strengths - you've got a lot of them, but need to paint a clear picture of those strengths for the admissions committees.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?