Help with understanding equation for force Between two current carrying coils

In summary, the conversation is about building a linear motor using the coil gun principle. The equation for force used in the coilgun's action is Fx = I1*I2*dM/dX and Fy = I1*I2*dM/dY, where I1 is the active current and I2 is the passive current in two coils of wire. The force is generated through the repulsion between two magnetic poles with the same polarity, resulting in horizontal thrust. This can be related to the Lorentz Force equation and the Magnetic Field equation, but the dM/dX component, which represents the mutual inductance or coupling between the two coils, is not fully understood.
Arv
Hi

I am currently involved in building a linear motor which is based around the coil gun principle. I am having trouble understanding the equation for force used to desribe the coilgun's action.

namely:
Fx = I1*I2*dM/dX

Fy = I1*I2*dM/dX

Here we are considering two coils of wire, with an rapidly
changing current allowed to flow through one of the coils (The active coil)which in turn induces a current in the nearby 'passive' coil (via Lenz Law). So I1 is the active current and I2 is the passive current.

So bascially u end up with two magnetic poles with same polarity and there is a repulsion action. If the vertical movement is constrained, you are left with horizontal thrust which is what the linear motor makes use of.

I can relate this force equation to physics textbooks' description of force betweentwo parallel current carrying conductors which uses the Lorentz Force equation (F = I*L*B) and Magnetic Field near straight wire (B = mu*I/(2*PI*R) to arrive at F = (mu*I1*I2)/(2*PI*D).

I don't how to explain the dM/dX part.

Can someone help me get from the F = I*L*B description to the
F = I*dM/dX description. Thanks

Arvind.

Physics news on Phys.org
oh..the M in dM/dX is the mutual inductance..(a coefficient to describe the linking flux between the two coils..coupling). I can see how 'good coupling' can help induce large currents however, i don't understand how its rate of change contributes to force..

*Fy = I1*I2*dM/dY

1. What is the equation for force between two current carrying coils?

The equation for force between two current carrying coils is F = (μ0 * I1 * I2 * N1 * N2 * A) / (2 * π * d), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the two coils, N1 and N2 are the number of turns in the two coils, A is the area of each coil, and d is the distance between the two coils.

2. How do I determine the direction of the force between two current carrying coils?

The direction of the force between two current carrying coils can be determined using the right-hand rule. Point your right thumb in the direction of the current in one coil, and your fingers will curl in the direction of the force on that coil due to the other coil.

3. What is the significance of the permeability of free space in the equation for force between two current carrying coils?

The permeability of free space, denoted as μ0, is a constant that represents the ability of a material to support the formation of a magnetic field. It is an important factor in the equation for force between two current carrying coils because it affects the strength of the magnetic field between the coils, and therefore the force between them.

4. Can the equation for force between two current carrying coils be used for non-parallel coils?

No, the equation for force between two current carrying coils can only be used for parallel coils. If the coils are not parallel, the force between them will be more complex and will depend on the orientation and shape of the coils.

5. How can I use the equation for force between two current carrying coils in practical applications?

The equation for force between two current carrying coils can be used in various practical applications, such as in the design of electromagnets, motors, and generators. It can also be used to study the behavior of magnetic fields in different configurations and to calculate the force between conductors in electrical circuits.