1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with understanding force between two current carrying coils

1. Sep 21, 2005 #1

Arv

Hi

I am currently involved in building a linear motor which is based around the coil gun principle. I am having trouble understanding the equation for force used to desribe the coilgun's action.

namely:
    Fx = I1*I2*dM/dX

Fy = I1*I2*dM/dX

Here we are considering two coils of wire, with an rapidly
    changing current allowed to flow through one of the coils (The active coil)which in turn induces a current in the nearby 'passive' coil (via Lenz Law). So I1 is the active current and I2 is the passive current.

So bascially u end up with two magnetic poles with same polarity next to each other and there is a repulsion action. If the vertical movement is constrained, you are left with horizontal thrust which is what the linear motor makes use of.

I can relate this force equation to physics textbooks' description of force betweentwo parallel current carrying conductors which uses the Lorentz Force equation (F = I*L*B) and Magnetic Field near straight wire (B = mu*I/(2*PI*R) to arrive at F = (mu*I1*I2)/(2*PI*D).

I don't how to explain the dM/dX part.

Can someone help me get from the F = I*L*B description to the
    F = I*dM/dX description.

The M in dM/dX is the mutual inductance which is the coefficient that
    describes the linking flux between the two coils. Why should the force
    depend on a gradient in mutual inductance? Can someone offer
    an intuvitive explanation for this or perhaps provide a sketch of a proof
    which I can work on?

Thanks
    Arv

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted