1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Variance

1. Jan 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For every bike that comes into a repair shop there is a 0.1 probability that a wheel will need replacing. The shop always has 3 wheels in stock. X is the number of bikes that can be repaired before the wheels run out. I need to figure out the mean and variance of X.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For the mean I have done : 1/(0.1^3) = 1000 ..is this correct?
    How would I figure out the variance?

I also need to figure out the probability that 20 or more bikes can be fixed before the wheels run out. I have done (1-0.001*19) = 0.981. I don't think that this is correct though?

Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your expression for the mean is wrong. How did you obtain it? We cannot help if you don't show your work, because we will have no way to tell where you went astray.

4. Jan 24, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

(Ray, my guess is there was no working.)
    t.war13, what is the probability that no more than two of the next N bikes will need wheels?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook