Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Help with vector physics problem

1. Jan 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let vectors [tex]\vec{A}[/tex]=(2,1,-4) [tex]\vec{B}[/tex]=(-3, 0, 1), and [tex]\vec{C}[/tex]= (-1, -1, 2) .
    Calculate the following:

What is the angle[tex]\theta_{AB}[/tex] between [tex]\overline{A}[/tex] and [tex]\overline{B}[/tex] ?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\vec{A}[/tex] * [tex]\vec{B}[/tex]= magnitude of A * Magnitude of B * Cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

magnitide of X= [tex]\sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}+C^{2}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

magnitude of A= 4.58
    Magnitude of B= 3.16

[tex]\theta[/tex]=arccos[( A * B)/ magnitude of A * magnitude of B)

I tried that but the incorrect answer. Maybe i did the arithmetic wrong. Please Help..

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2008 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can't tell you if you did the arithmetic wrong if you don't show your calculations...

Also, it seems you posted this problem in the forum 3 times. Please do not flood the forum with repeat posts.

4. Jan 24, 2008 #3
    sorry if i posted it three times. It is my first time using this program.

magnitude of a= [tex]\sqrt{2^{2}+ 1^{2}+ 4^{2}}[/tex]= 4.58

Magnitude of b= [tex]\sqrt{-3^{2}+ 1^{2}}[/tex]= 3.16

and the vector A * the Vector B gives me -10

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  5. Jan 24, 2008 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, you calculations for the magnitudes are correct. Can you show me what you get for [tex]\theta[/tex] and the full calculation involved?

I ask because you have the correct formula, so I think the error is probably in your calculation somewhere.

6. Jan 24, 2008 #5
    a ha!!! i just saw my mistake!! But i will show you my calculations that i just re-did

[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]_{AB}[/tex]= arccos[ -10/ (4.58* 3.16)]

= arccos(-10/ 14.47)
    = 133.7

Thanks a lot!!!

7. Jan 24, 2008 #6
    ;-)

I can't tell you the number of times I begin to spend the time typing up a problem here, and then all of a sudden I figure out the answer to my question.

8. Jan 24, 2008 #7

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good Job!

9. Jan 25, 2008 #8
    i know i couldn't believe it! I was so frustrated trying the problem out over and over. I lauphed so hard when i figured it out lolz... I thought it was such a hard problem, turned out pretty easy

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook