Need Help with Vector Problem? Confused About Velocity and Angle?

• Thread starter njuice8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the boat crossed the river at a constant velocity of 10.0m/s 35 degrees northwest relative to the water. The boat has moved a total of 582.8m by the time it reaches the north shore.
njuice8
Help with Vector problem??

A river flows due east at 1.50m/s. A boat crosses the river from the south shore to the north shore by maintaining a constant velocity of 10.0m/s 35 degrees northwest relative to the water. a) What is the velocity of the boat relative to the shore? b) If the river is 500m wide, how far downstream has the boat moved by the time it reaches the north shore?

Hi, I the answers to this problem is 8.81 @ 139 degrees and 582.8m
I tried to do this, and was successful with finding the velocity of the boat, but for some reason my angle is off. I keep getting 40.63. Can anyone explain to me what I did wrong? And for the second part, I don't have a clue how to start it. Thanks!

I took a picture of my work:
http://tinypic.com/r/2d14k1t/6

Physics news on Phys.org

Well for part 2, the river is flowing horizontally, so it does not affect the component of the boat's velocity perpendicular to the shore. You can act as though the river was still to get the amount of time it takes to get from one shore to the other. Since you want the horizontal distance, you take the horizontal component of the boat's velocity times the time.

I see you interpreted "35 deg NW " as 35 deg north of west whereas I would interpret it as 35 deg west of north. But in any case I didn't get the "right" answers either.

The wording is also confusing regarding "constant velocity of 10 m/s relative to the water". The term "velocity" should I think be "speed". I would then interpret that to mean
Let vx = east component of ground velocity of boat
vy = north component of ground velocity of boat
Then (vx - 1.5)^2 + vy^2 = 10^2 = 100.

Then also, vx/vy = tan 35 deg.

Would others please join in? :uhh:

Last edited:

1. What is a vector and how is it different from a scalar?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector with its length proportional to the magnitude. In contrast, a scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude and no direction.

2. How do I add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you first need to resolve them into their components (x and y). Then, add or subtract the corresponding components to get the resulting vector's components. Finally, use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions to find the magnitude and direction of the resulting vector.

3. Can vectors be multiplied?

Vectors can be multiplied in two ways: scalar multiplication and vector multiplication. Scalar multiplication multiplies a vector by a scalar (a number), resulting in a vector with the same direction but a different magnitude. Vector multiplication, also known as the cross product, results in a vector perpendicular to both of the original vectors.

4. How do I find the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors is a scalar value that represents the product of their magnitudes and the cosine of the angle between them. To find the dot product, multiply the corresponding components of the vectors and then sum the products. Alternatively, you can use the formula: A · B = |A| * |B| * cos(θ), where θ is the angle between the two vectors.

5. Can vectors be used in real-life applications?

Yes, vectors have many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and geography. For example, vectors can be used to represent forces, velocities, and displacements in physics, or to model wind directions and velocities in meteorology. Vectors are also essential in computer graphics and animation, where they are used to represent movements and transformations of objects.